kennyritch

Tab Index is Bizarre!!! (2000)

Hi Folks

I've got five fields on my form which are situated within a Tab Control. I want the Tab Control to have Tab Index 0, which it does. However, field 1 also has Tab Index 0 and when I try to manually change this, and the Index of the other fields, Access keeps changing them to completely different numbers!!!

Why does it do this? ... and why does my Tab Control NOT show up in the Tab Order list of my form?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tab Index is Bizarre!!! (2000)

There are 2 tab orders at work here. The first is the tab order of your form, which will include your tab control, but NOT the fields on the tab pages. However, if your currently selected control is on a tab page, then the Tab Order you see is only the order of the controls on the tab (and NOT the rest of the fields on the form).

Whenever you change a tabindex #, Access automatically recalculates all the tabindexes so the are sequential. So, if you changed the tabindex of a control from #2 to #6, Access would renumber the old 3-5 to 2-4, and then change the new #6 you made to #5.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

kennyritch

Um ... sorry to be a pain but I'm not as well versed in using Access as most people on this Board.

I'm a little confused as to what you are saying ... and I'm even MORE confused as to how I can solve the problem!!! I'd really appreciate it if you could help me again.

Cheers,
    Kenny.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

May I'm a little confused now. Exactly what is your problem then?

I thought it was that you didn't see the tab control in the tab order of your form. As I explained, depending on where the focus is at the time you look at the tab order dictates which tab order you are seeing. If a control on the tab has the focus, then when you look at the tab order you are seeing the tab order of the fields in the tab control only. The tab indexes of these controls will be numbered sequentially starting with 0.

If some other control has the focus, then the tab order you see will be the order of controls in the SAME SECTION of the form (that is, detail or header or footer).
    Mark Liquorman

3 Star Lounger
    Newbury, Berkshire, UK, Berkshire, England
    Thanks

I've got the same problem in Access 97. A tab control on the form with 10 controls on it, but I can't get them into the right sequence.
    I've tried renumbering from the control I want to be last, I've tried from the first, whatever I try , I can't get the sequence - I set each control to 0, next to 1, etc. but by about 6, Access has set e.g. 2 to 9 :-(

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

With the focus on one of the controls on the tab page, select "View | Tab Order" from the main menu bar. This will display all the controls on the tab page. Use Click and Hold Left mouse button on a control you want to move, then drag it up or down to the desired position. Access will automatically adjust all tab indexes.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're working way too hard. I've done this in code, but it isn't necessary. Select the tab control and then select the View menu and choose Tab Order. Then just drag the controls up and down in the tab order dialog. It will take care of the numbering for you.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Newbury, Berkshire, UK, Berkshire, England
    Thanks

Many thanks Mark and Charlotte
    well you learn something new everyday
    (I'm a lazy sod and, yeap, this is a much better way to sort the tab order, and also stop me going mad !!)