2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling Windows (XP SP2)

Ok so I'm trying to disable my onboard LAN device since I am connecting to the internet via wireless. When I try I get an Error as follows.

Error Dissabling Device

It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account.

Now I have never seen this. Nothing is connected to my Onboard LAN so how can it be in use? I have no clue I've racked my brain and can't seem to figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Disabling Windows (XP SP2)

Are you logged on as an administrator?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I never need to disable the cat 5 to use the Wireless, why are you needing to?

Now at times I disable the Wireless (I have a on/off switch) as I want the Cat 5 not wireless.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

How are you trying to disable: Network Connection (e.g., task tray icon) or Device Manager? I think you should be able to disconnect using the tray icon even if the connection is in use.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I am on the administrator account. I want to disable the onboard LAN because it isn't inuse and the icon with the X on it as well as the pop-ups that say a network cable is unplugged get on my nerves.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The icon with the X on it as well as the pop-ups that say a network cable is unplugged get on my nerves

This is clearly misunderstanding what "Disable" term means.
    Disable means that activity (information exchange) through this connection is stopped.
    And you want not to be notified if such event is happen (not to disable already disabled connection).

To do so,
    - open Network Connections applet (from Control Panel or clicking Start | Run, typing NCPA.CPL and hitting Enter),
    - then right-click the connection in question (usually "Local Area Connection"),
    - and from pop-up menu select Properties. "Local Area Connection Properties" window will open.
    - Make sure General tab is selected and uncheck "Notify me when this connection has limited or not connectivity" closer to the bottom of the window.
    - Click OK and close Network Connections window.
    If "Show icon in notification area when connected" is also unchecked, Local Connection icon will not appear in your System tray anymore.