Thread: End Procee Tree

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

End Procee Tree

There is an option in the Task Manager's "Processes" panel called "End Process Tree". What does it do?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: End Procee Tree

According to Microsoft Windows XP - End a process with Task Manager:
    <hr>To end a process and all processes directly or indirectly created by it, on the Process tab, right-click the process you want to end, and then click End Process Tree.

If you end the process tree for an e-mail program such as Microsoft Outlook, for example, you will also end related processes such as mapisp32.exe, the MAPI spooler.<hr>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Han's link, try Understanding Windows 2000 & Windows NT 4.0 System and Process Activity. Although the "Event" has already happened, there are PowerPoint slides and tool references which you may find helpful.

One note, be EXTREMELY cautious about using "End process tree" - I accidently killed one for MS PowerPoint that had links to Word and Excel files. My system crashed and I had a couple of corrupted files.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is a good point. I have ended a process but have been relunctant to end a process tree.

Thanks,
    John