4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving documents (2000)

I have just upgraded to a Win XP machine and am running Office 2000. When trying to save a document in Word by clicking File, Save As, when I click the drop down list to Save In, it takes at least 10 seconds before the directory tree appears, sometimes longer. It used to appear immediately. Any ideas as to how I can get this process to speed up?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving documents (2000)

Do you have Norton (Symantec) Anti-Virus? If so, make sure that the Office Plug-in is disabled. It is not needed and causes lots of problems. To check, open Norton Anti-Virus, click Options, then Miscellaneous.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I have Norton Antivirus 2006. I have tried disabling the Office Plug-in but it makes no difference whatsoever. I have therefore re-enabled it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would leave the Office Plug-in disabled since it may cause other problems. As long as you have Auto-Protect active, your PC is not at risk.

Make sure that saving journal items for Word is OFF. This is set in Outlook: Tools | Options..., Journal Options...

For other possible causes, see Phil Rabichow/s Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (Word 97/2000).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding your comment about journal items. I am assuming you are referring to Microsoft Outlook here. I do not use Outlook, I only use Outlook Express, so I guess your comment would not apply to me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even if you don't use Outlook, it won't hurt looking at Journal Options.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see how I can look at Journal Options if they are found under Outlook/Tools/Options. Outlook is not set up or configured on my PC and therefore cannot be started.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you haven't installed Outlook, it doesn't apply. I'd try Phil Rabichow's troubleshooting guide.

Thanks

Back when Office 2000 was in wider use, there were some threads about delays in displaying the contents of network folders. I don't know whether there is any easy way to find those, but perhaps there was something helpful there? (Of course, if these are folders only on your local hard drive, then never mind.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried Phil Rabichow's first three suggestions in order, but they made no difference. I am reluctant to delete the Data Key with its attendant dabbling with the registry, particularly as it is not guaranteed that it will solve the problem, so I think I will just learn to live with the problem. After all, it is only a minor irritant. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I understand your reluctance. You could export the Data key to a .reg file before deleting it. If deleting the key doesn't solve the problem, you can restore the original situation by double clicking the .reg file.