3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Profiles & Domains (SP2)

Greetings.

I am now the proud owner of a nice shiny Windows 2003 SBS, and I want to connect my laptop (which runs XP Pro and has never been connected to a domain) to the domain that I have created on the server.

I seem to remember back in my 2000 days, though, that if I tried to join my machine to a domain I would get a new profile. For instance, I would either have a new profile for a different log on name (e.g. NONDOMAINUSER and DOMAINUSER) or, if I used the same username as I currently have on my laptop, I would get a new NAME.DOMAIN profile to sit alongside my NAME profile. In both cases, I would then need to set up all the apps etc on the new profile.

a) is that right?

and

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] if it is, is there an easy way to ensure that I can move all my settings for all the different apps?

Cheers,

Stuart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Profiles & Domains (SP2)

Yes, that is right.

Moving settings for applications is a bit of a challenge. You may be able to log in as a THIRD user and copy the entire user profile from User1 to User1.Domain, but I wouldn't count on it.

StuartR

Thanks

The procedure described by StuartR worked on Windows XP Pro when my domain administrator logged on as Administrator. I think it duplicated the entire profile from me (local) to me.domain-name. The annoying thing was that some applications don't like the me.domain-name style of user name, so I probably should have adopted a new domain username...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. That confirms what I thought. I'll wait until I've got a bit of time, take a deep breath, and ...

Thanks.

Stuart