New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't delete, open or move mails (97 and 2000)

Our Exchange server crashed just when my boss and I happened to be out of the country at the same time. Someone was called in to fix the server as no one had access to mail, Exchange had died. To this day I am not sure what exactly this person did but I suspect he has either deleted some Exchange files or managed to put some out of sync. I have users on Outlook 2000 and 97 and we all have mails which we can see in our inbox, sent items etc but which we cannot delete, move or open, if we try and open the mail we get the following message "Can't open this item" and if we try to move or delete the mails it says "The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted or access was denied". This happens only on mails pre the date that the server was allegedly fixed! Also as a result of this person coming to "fix" the server, one of my users has lost all his contacts, he has tried re-entering them but the next day they are gone, I have also lost a folder with Outlook. Can anyone please help. I suspect that these mails have been deleted off the server but don't understand why the client can still see them.

Thanks

Regards Fiona

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't delete, open or move mails (97 and 2000)

Ouch! I touched base on this with one of our server-side tech guys and he suggested corruption in the mailbox (or maybe even the store) could cause this. (Also, it could have been the crash, not the vendor.) You can test it fairly easily by creating a new account for one of the problematic users and using ExMerge to transfer the data to the new account. If this fixes the problem then you've narrowed down your path.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't delete, open or move mails (97 and 2000)

if the server lost them, the outlook won't see them. same for folders - if one was lost, all in the mailbox would have been lost.

try opening outlook using the /cleanviews switch. be aware it will remove all custom views you have, but damaged views are often the culprit with this error.