2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Data Source Connection (Word 2003)

I am working with many users on mail merge issues. Most of them we use the Word data source. Occasionally I have a main document that will not hold the data source recognition. The next time you use the document you have to re-establish the link to the data, which is a pain when my user is going in and out of it frequently. I don't know if it's entirely consistent. But for example, one user has eight merge document/files set up. All, but one always seems to hold the data source.

One more question, multiple merges can use the same data source, right? I thought that might have been the problem, but think I eliminated that one. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Judy
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Data Source Connection (Word 2003)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

About your second question: multiple merges can use the same data source, but there might be problems if they are run simultaneously.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for writing Hans. This document is not a rich text and never was. Do you think it might be helpful if I do a cut and paste and start over with the document. Again, this is a merge document that will be used over and over again. It's in or DA's office and is a Misdemeanor Warrant for arrest, so might be used daily! All the documents are saved in the template folder so the user can just click file new and pick from the merge templates. Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could also take a look at MSKB article <A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765">You receive the

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I already read the last knowledgebase article and it isn't a fix we want to apply given the location of these users. I'll dry a different document. Will let you know how it goes...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have this same issue on our network. I use a Word data source in my probate templates, and occasionally the data source becomes unhooked. The data source and the templates are all stored on our server, to make them accessible to everyone in the department. I've discovered if anyone else accesses the template they must manually re-connect to the data source. They can then use the template without problems, until someone else accesses it, and the whole cycle starts over.

Fortunately for me, I'm the primary user of these templates, but we've added new attorney to our staff, and he's starting to expand his practice into estates & probates, so this is happening much oftener than I'd like to have to deal with.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love