2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Data from Word to Outlook (Office 2003)

Is it possible to use data from a Word document on the screen to populate the To and Subject fields of an e-mail message? I have the following simple text and the information where the @@ are will be used in creating the e-mail To field and the subject line.

To: @@

Account: @@
    Job No.: @@

The user will replace the @@ with the data including using the Address Book and AddressLayout autotext to insert information. There are several macros that will help in the creation of this e-mail within Word, that is why we want to do it, but I have no idea if it is possible.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data from Word to Outlook (Office 2003)

You could create a userform in the Visual Basic Editor to let the user enter the text for the @@ bits, and use code to place the text in the document and to create an e-mail, for example using

ActiveDocument.FollowHyperlink "mailto:" & Me.txtTo & "?subject=" & Me.txtSubject

But the user wouldn't be able to use the address book etc. If you want to use the text from the document, it depends on how easy it is to determine what has been entered by the user. For example, if the text "To: " occurs only once in the document, it is safe to assume that what follows is the destination for the e-mail. But if the text "To: " can occur more than once, it becomes more difficult.

Thanks

If the individual data "fields," such as they are, are marked with bookmarks, then a macro should be able to extract them fairly easily. We have a form where data actually is read out of Word form fields, but bookmarks should be roughly the same approach.

Added: I was thinking that the message generated would be completely independent of the document on screen, rather than "mailing" the document itself.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is working perfectly for me. Just 1 more question, is there also a way I can pass some text to the body portion of the e-mail in the same way?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep. Use something like this:

ActiveDocument.FollowHyperlink "mailto:" & Me.txtTo & "?subject=" & Me.txtSubject & "&body=My message"

or

ActiveDocument.FollowHyperlink "mailto:" & Me.txtTo & "?subject=" & Me.txtSubject & "&body=" & Me.txtBodyText

See MailTo Syntax for more examples.