2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Briefcase Use (XP Professional)

We are using Windows Briefcase in our office for Word Global Templates. My question is: Is there a script we can run on startup that will automatically update the Briefcase?
    Charlotte Quiroz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Briefcase Use (XP Professional)

No one has an idea for me regarding the Briefcase here????
    Charlotte Quiroz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To be honest, it was so error-prone when it first came out that it has been enthusiastically ignored by most people ever since, and other solutions to the problems it was supposed to solve have been adopted...

If, as I suspect, My Briefcase is just another folder, like My Documents or Desktop, etc, then the problem is simply one of synchronising two folders, for which there are several GUI and command-line solutions. I don't have any instances of My Briefcase on my PC, since I probably got rid of it/them in one of my tidying-up exercises a few years back.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

You may find something useful amongst the many suggestions in this thread at lifehacker.com.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be interesting to know why you are using briefcase, rather than offline files.

I am quite a heavy user of both of these, as each has specific advantages and disadvantages, and I will happily offer what advice I can. The reason I didn't answer before is that I am not aware of any way to control briefcases from a script or code.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart: I have had good luck using the Briefcase in this type of situation. We want the ability to make changes to the templates. If any users have a document based on one of these templates open, we have to ask them to close the document...unless we use the Briefcase. Then we don't have to interrupt anyone. The downside is, after we make a change to the templates, we have to visit each workstation to update the Briefcase. If we had a script we could run on startup to do this for us, so much the better.
    Charlotte Quiroz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, I'll check this out...Thanks
    Charlotte Quiroz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John: do you have another solution to what I'm trying to accomplish? I'm all ears.
    Charlotte Quiroz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, one of the benefits of Briefcases is that you can have multiple PCs with the same file open at the same time as you make an update to the master copy, so offline files wouldn't work for you.

Unfortunately there is no way that I have ever come across for controlling briefcase updates, other than the user interface.

There are a number of other tools about for synchronising files between folders, so hopefully one of Leif's suggestions will do the trick, or another lounger will have a suggestion for you.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If My Briefcase works the way I think it works, then it is a matter of synchronising/mirroring a folder or folders between two machines, for which you can (probably) use any of the programs suggested in <post#=596,065>post 596,065</post#> (except XCOPY!).

If you could say which folders are affected, I'm sure I could knock you up a ROBOCOPY for a scriptable solution.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well....pooo. I guess we'll rethink what we're trying to accomplish and use one of Leif's ideas. Thanks for taking time to ponder my problem.
    charlotte
    Charlotte Quiroz