4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ask To Save Saved Files (97)

Word has developed an annoying habit at home. I can click on the Save icon and click on the [X] to close the document--without doing anything in between--and it will warn me that the document has changed and ask if I want to save it. Skipping this does not lose any information and there are not fields in the document so that is not causing it. Any suggestions?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ask To Save Saved Files (97)

In my experience, WD97 almost always asks this because Microsoft added a workaround/fix for a problem with Word97 abandoning edits even after you have saved them, it prompts to save your changes even if you already have.

I see this in a corporate environment and train my users to always click Yes, even if they have already saved. This has to do with the way Word stores files being edited as ~.tmp files until they are Closed.

If someone knows a better answer for this, please post it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do get this on some Word97 files, but only where I have a date and time embedded in the document, as in a "Last Printed" field.
    Granville

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I get this frequently when I've been in the Print dialogue but I've never actually worked out what it is that causes the prompt to appear. I am fairly sure that changing the printer causes it, and I think that, if you have update fields set and the document includes a table of contents, this will also cause the prompt to appear.
    Silverback

mat_tob

I found that this only happens if you have background saves on (as most people do). It seems that it is not down fields or any 'mysterious' items being updated when you click save but is more likely to be yet another Word bug.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have background saves and Allow Fast Save turned off in Normal.dot and still get this.

It doesn't happen often, seems unrelated to field codes that need updating, but still occurs regularly. At least Word97 no longer abandons saved edits, but we shouldn't have to be bothered with another save dialog if we've already saved.

More ideas?

alterego

I notice that WordPerfect (and its siblings) have the word "(unmodified)" appear on the title bar immediately after saving, so you can tell if you've done anything later that might require saving. No help for Word, I know, but it might filter through to Redmond eventually...

Excuse me now - I have to check outside for low flying pigs.