New Lounger
    Thanks

Mozy Remote Backup

Has anybody heard of or used Mozy Remote Backup from Berkeley Data Systems? It's 2GB of secure, automatic, remote storage for free. I've not heard of it before and I can't find any reference here for this software. I'm loathe to download it without expert advice because of 2 major crashes in the last 3 months and I've lost loads and loads of stuff.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozy Remote Backup

It wouldn't hurt if you included a link so Loungers could see what you're asking about. Is this the one: Mozy Remote Backup: Free. Automatic. Secure?

I've not heard of it, but then again I would never "trust" some outside vendor to care for and protect my data. I know it will sound harsh, but what makes you think that you might be "safer" with remote backup than you would with your own locally controlled and stored backup procedures? With the reasonable (low?) prices of hard drives today, including external USB drives of huge capacity and the wide choices in backup software available, I believe I would re-think that strategy if I were you. Besides which, 2 gig isn't much space in today's "data" world, in my opinion.

If you want to talk about alternatives, there are many Loungers who will chime in. Let us know. Meanwhile, let's see if anyone else has heard of the product you asked about. Hang in there...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I found this Mozy Remote Backup 1.6 (beta) review by PC Magazine. Under CONS it states: All versions of backed-up files except the latest expire if no backup for 30 days. Limited number of restores per month. No file-sharing ability.

This does make it sound a bit limited IMO.

Alan

Thanks

At our office, we use a remote backup service for some data as a double for local tape backups. The client software encrypts the data before it leaves the office and the remote vendor does not have a copy of the password. I think all remote backup should have this feature if someone else has access to the servers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As someone who uses it-
    1) It is an emergency back up of course you need to do regular back ups to an external HD or DVDs
    2) You have the option of using your own passwords to encrypt the back up.
    3) The back up remains even after 30 days just not all the old versions, but OTH for 30 days it doe keep even old versions of the same file.
    4) The limited installs are for the free version. If you pay you can do file transfer and have unlimited downloads

IT seems this is a useful part of a back up strategy for a very reasonable price. Their once a month email is not onerous and is even quite funny

From a satisfied user

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice, much appreciated. My computer is 'throwing wobblies' at the moment but as soon as I've sorted out those problems I'll come to a decision. Advice seems to be about 50/50. Thanks again.