Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creative sound card problem

I just got a new laptop with a Soundblaster Audigy Advanced sound card installed. The sound was great for the first week, but now I am having my issues. At first it wasn't terrible, I would play a song, and every 5 minutes or so it would skip with a bit of static. Now it's ever 15 seconds and i can't play music because it sounds so bad. I've done a bunch of troubleshooting to see where the problem could reside.

I went to the task manager to see the performance and to see what program was overriding when the skipping occured. Unfortunately there was no boost in CPU or Memory usage when the skipping occured. I changed media players (was using Windows Media Player beta 11) and the problem still resided. I thought it might have been the speakers, but when I unplugged the speakers and let them play through the stock laptop speakers it still did it. So then I decided to watch the timer for the song in the player and sure enough when the song skips, so does the timer (it would pause or be 2 seconds instead of 1, etc). Unfortunately this doesn't help me because I don't know what to make of it or what to do. I went to the creative troubleshooter online but most of their suggestions didn't make sense to me, or just didn't work. I also tried slowing the graphics acceleration and I still had the problem.

Following up, I just installed a very high-quality game and this was the worst I have heard the sound. Even with all the options on high quality, even when there wasn't sound there was heavy static, and when there was sound the static was multiplied 10fold. I took the speaker cord out and it was the same exact thing with the laptop speakers.

if anyone has any suggestions that would be very helpful. Thank you.

-Ben

Thanks

Re: Creative sound card problem

Ben,
    A shot in the dark, but have you uninstalled and then reinstalled the software for that card?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creative sound card problem

actually i ended up going to the dell>inspiron>audio forum and the first thread i found was the exact problem I had. it turns out it was my computer searching for a wireless network that caused the problem. I shut that down and the problem is fixed. thanks for the help.