Thread: Laptops

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Laptops

Which manufactuers ship laptops without any hidden system partitions, and do provide a CD So the OS can be re-installed?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptops

The only notebooks I have found that are not pre-installed (Dell usually offers a recovery CD, eMachines used to) are customer machines from local PC shops. Then they will install the OS of your choice and provide the OS diskette for an additional charge (XP Pro pre-installed for $90-$110 locally, Original CD for additional $50-$60 charge).

For notebooks I setup for others, as soon as the notebooks are originally booted, I create a backup of the ENTIRE disk.
    Scott

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I was not questioning pre-installation, rather, the hidden system partition(s).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That is interesting that you make a back up of the whole disk. Our guys here, create a Ghost or the original "out of the box" then place the company standard licenced software on it , do the protocols and then lock it down tight and re-Ghost it. That is done for each laptop and PC type so that they can be restored on the fly.

We have Dell as standard and used to have Hi-Grade, none with "secret" partitions. I was thinking that Howard needs to speak to the individual manufacturers as it sounds a bit conspiritorial
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used to backup (also used Ghost) right out of the box before initial bootup. I quit because this allowed people to [urchase a new hard drive, put the image on the new hard drive in a new computer, boot and "Register" this new computer - using the same initialization software from the first computer.

On the pre-installs, after the computer is FIRST booted, you are forced to provide register information. I just did NOT want the liability of providing the equivalent of OEM Initial Registerable software. I have been informed that XP resolves this problem, but I do not chance it.

As for the hidden directories - I guess I was confused on the original post's question. Many pre-installed computer have "Hidden" directories with the installation software, drivers, promotional software (Works for example on my eMachine), etc. I really prefer the manufacture to just provide the OS Disk - even if I have to pay a little extra for it. Even the "Recovery" disk seems to be a chore for the manufactures (or "Resellers) to provide.

You are probably right in that Howard should contact the individual manufactures.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please read my response to Jerry in <post#= 596,983>post 596,983</post#>.

My apologies if I am confused on what you were originally asking for.
    Scott

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Not hidden directories, rather hidden partitions.
    Removing the hidden partitions would likely void the warranty, and/or make it diificult to get tech support.

Laptops exacerbate the problem, because they likely use more proprietary parts/drivers than deskktops.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Dell laptops I have (5) with XP pro and 1 with Win2K have a Dell only XP pro disc or Dell only Win2K disc (it is BIOS locked, not to a specific computer just a Dell product ) and only a small diagnostic partition 32mb at the beginning of the hard drive. The disc can be slipstreamed to update as service packs come out. The XP home laptops I have seen have a recovery partition.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dell laptops (and desktops too) do put a System Recovery Process on the hard drive and do not ship a Reinstallation OS CD or any of the other application CDs. They call it part of their Media Reduction Initiative. You can contact Customer Service and request that they "send the disks that should have shipped with your new system." You need to mention that you are concerned that the System Recovery process may not work or that the hard drive will crash after the warranty expires. I have helped numerous folks do this and Dell always sends the requested disks.