lstarn

WINWORD.EXE - Application Error (Word 2000)

I am running Word 2000 on WIndows 2000. I have been working with a 130-page document that has lots of screen shots and tables. The document began throwing Application Error messages at random points yesterday (for example, when the auto-save kicked in or when I tried to print a range of pages). The error message read:

WINWORD.EXE - Application Error

The instruction at "0x308d0bbc" referenced memory at "0x0080fffe". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to termnate program.
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

Clicking either alternative causes Word to disappear. When I try to open the file again, Word will only give me a Read-only file. The only way to get back into the file is to restart my computer and then repen Word.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really be interested in hearing them.

-lstarn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WINWORD.EXE - Application Error (Word 2000)

Unfortunately, when Word crashes like this, it leaves a bit of itself running!
    The solution in Windows 98 (maybe there is something similar in Windows 2000) is to:
    1 Hold down the Ctrl & Alt keys, then press Del. This will bring up the "Close Program" Dialog Box.
    2 Look for "winword" in the list, select it, then click the "End Task" button.
    3 When another window opens, click the "End Task" button.
    If there are any other instances of "winword" in the "Close Program" dialog box, then follow 1, 2 & 3 again for each instance.
    When there are no more instances of "winword" in the "Close Program" dialog box, then you can start Word and all should be OK.
    I hope this helps.

lstarn

Re: WINWORD.EXE - Application Error (Word 2000)

I finally was able to try this, and it worked. Thank you so much!