Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    I'm putting together a really simple template with a couple of basic fill-in fields.

    I'd like the template to open, and prompt the user for the information.

    The first fill-in works fine. Saved the template. Added a second fill-in and saved the template. When I use it to create a document the prompt for the first fill-in works, but I never get a second prompt. I toggle and the field coding is still there. I force an update and it prompts me for the second field.

    Both fields are in the header.

    I thought I was dumb, but I was able to duplicate this behavior from scratch. What am I doing wrong.

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    I'd design a userform that is displayed when a new document based on the template is created. See <post#=259,183>post 259,183</post#> for a demo - it employs a userform to set document variables, and the page header contains DOCVARIABLE fields that display the value of these variables.

  3. #3
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    You've got to be kidding me ...

    HansV - you've given me great advice before, but this is way more general than I need to address this specific problem.

    Is there a concrete reason I would go through this just to be able to have a secretary enter specific items for the header? I used fill-in because it's simple and it has worked in the past.

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    Well, I think a userform is much nicer and more user-friendly than a fillin field. Anyway, could you attach a stripped down and zipped copy of your template? Make sure to remove all proprietary info.

  5. #5
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    I am going to back off this one until next week. If I don't post by September 12, 2006, consider this thread closed.

    Problem was reproducible.

    Then I rebooted ... problem went away. I now have many, many test files that all work well. [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

    P.S. Agreed about the friendliness of a userform, but I only had 2 simple questions that needed responses.

  6. #6
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Fill-In Fails ... Sometimes (2003 Pro SP2)

    Well ... I'm ready to move on ... but there is definitely something buggy going on here.

    I was able to duplicate this problem today. Rebooting appears to clear out the problem, but it comes back with a minimum of PC use.

    Here's what I found out:
    1) If you create a new document, and put a string with 2 fill-ins in the body, and save it as a template, you will be correctly prompted to fill in the information when the template is double-clicked.
    2) If you copy that string to the header, and save the template, when you double-click the template you will be properly prompted for all 4 fill in responses.
    3) If you then delete the 2 fill-in string from the body, save, and double-click, Word will only prompt you for the first fill-in in the header, and will ignore the second one.
    4) If you now open the template, cut the 2 fill-in string out of the header, repaste it into the body, save, and double-click, Word will again prompt you for both fill in responses.

    The only think I can figure out is that Word appears to parse the body before the headers for doing fill-in fields. If they exist in the body then it is fine. If they only exist in the header, it either bails out of its parsing loop too soon, or else miscounts the number of times it has to loop through.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •