4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to make Normal.dot for Outlook (2003/SP2)

This is probably really simple and I'm just not finding it. All I want to do is to create a default template for Outlook 2003. I want to do it like I do it in Word. I have Word as my default e-mail editor and use HTML for the e-mail format.

I have dinked around with different kinds of stationery and just can't get what I want...and I don't want much, no fancy graphics or logos or borders. All I want is that when I open a new e-mail message, I have a default font and size, (I want to use Comic Sans MS, 12 pt) and have the paragraphs formatted to be 12 Pts after. I have a signature that I want to add, that part works fine now, and that's it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to make Normal.dot for Outlook (2003/SP2)

I know Outlook 2000 uses email.dot for the template. Outlook 2003 using Word as the editor does use normal.dot but I believe Outlook automatically selects the template when you specify Word as the editor.

I prefer to use RTF format so I do not get the templates confused. Although I admit my knowledge of modifying normal.dot is limited. I prefer going to Microsoft Templates and get a template close to what I want and tweak it.
    Scott

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried this?

Start a new message with Word as your editor
    Choose Tools | Options | General tab | click E-mail Options (bottom right corner).
    Switch to the Personal Stationery tab
    Click each of the Fonts buttons to set the font for new and reply/forward messages
    (You may want to also set options under the other tabs in this dialog)
    OK out, answer Yes when asked whether you want to keep changes made to the template
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is just too weird. I used your suggestions and got it set up the way I want, thank you, except....

The signature that I use just does not want to go to 12 pts. It is really strange, if I set up the signature as 12 pts, when I open a new e-mail, everything is just the way I want, except the signature is 10 pt. If I change it to 8 pt or 14 pt or 16 pt, it will be in that point size when I start a new e-mail but it won't do it at 12. I finally set it up as 12.5 and that works just fine, the signature is 12.5 pts. I also have an alternate signature that I use, that one works fine, 12 pts, just like I want.

Thanks again for your help, I'm very close to getting it right, never would have gotten this close without you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not surprised, even in 2003 I don't believe Word plays well as Editor with Outlook. I tried it for while and found that:
    - with my sig set as 10 point blue Arial
    - with all text fonts for email set as 10 point blue Arial
    any time I did an edit where I joined the body text and sig together, the entire message and sig flipped to Times Roman 12 point ... which as it happened was the default Normal style in my Word installation. So for a while I ran Word as Editor with the default Normal Style Also set to 10 point blue Arial, but I still had bizarre font substitution behavior on occasion, usually when I did some message edit and my text was flipped to the font format of the sender to whom I was responding; and 10 point blue Arial wasn't the Normal style I wanted when working with Word alone.

So, we better hope that these problems are solved in Office 2007, because rumor has it that Word is the only editor available in Outlook 2007!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS