Thanks

Possible Defective cable modem

How do I determine whether or not my cable modem is becoming defective or "going bad"? I have a SurfBoard SB3100 cable modem that is approximately 4 years old. I do a bit of troubleshooting myself and know you have a thousand questions. But I want to tackle this from another angle. What symptoms would it give me if it is "on its last legs", so to speak? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Possible Defective cable modem

If you are a regular user (and you probably are), for you tips are:

- if on your computer error messages "connection has limited or no connectivity" become to appear on regular basis and online help from your Internet Service Provider could not solve the problem, your cable modem is becoming defective;
    - if you have no Internet connection at all and all other possible solutions do not work, your cable modem is "going bad".

Physical lifetime of your cable modem is twenty or thirty years, may be more. But you will replace it long before this date because of new technology arriving, not because of physical decline. Old computers from 1980s physically still work...

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking the problem is my ISP (Charter). We get no error messages at all. It just doesn't work sometimes; the lights on the modem either go out or start blinking. But it happens so frequently that I find it hard to believe that Charter has THAT many problems!! But I guess they could. Time to change ISPs.

Thanks

If your modem was supplied by your cable company, I would insist on a replacement from them.

As much as I "yank Verizon's chain", when I was having an apparent DSL modem problem after about the same amount of time, they did ship me a new modem, no charge. Best test is a substitution of the suspected trouble maker.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I've found Charter's technical support to be pretty good. You've got to be persistent and patient (as with almost all support these days). You need to insist that they run tests on your connection. BTW, have you tried any speed tests (Charter has one too)?

Joe
    Joe