Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Conflict with installing USB2 card

I need some more USB ports for my HP Pavilion 310N. For 10 bucks, I picked up a USB2 card with two ports, and I plugged it into an available PCI slot. It seemed like a simple, straightforward installation. However, during boot-up I got a WARNING! about a "resource conflict." I got the machine to boot up, but the device wouldn't install. OK, I admit it

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conflict with installing USB2 card

Hi Lucas,

You don't specify the OS or model of the USB card. You also didn't provide type of resorce conflict - this can be found by going into Device Manager and looking at the device error. Device Manager can usually be found by going to Control Panel, Double Clicking System, Click Hardware Tab, Click device Manager (XP OS). For W98/ME - same as above except you will see Device Manager Tab in lieu of Hardware Tab.

The conflict can be for a number of reasons to numerous to try to guess at without knowing more information on your system configuration.

Alternate recommendation, use an external USB HUB. This resolves any potential conflict since the USB Hub works through existing on board USB Port. The other advantage is that a USB 2.0 Hub is compatible with USB 1.1 port it plugs into, as well as USB 1.1 devices pluged into it. Yuo can also use the HB on other computers.

One I use frequently is "Stratitec USBM4EXT" found at my local Sam's Club for under $15 (Tax included). Sam's Club Online offers others for under $5 before S&H here. This particular HUB has a 6 foot USB Extension (read I plug into back of computer and attach to under side of the computer table for easy access to USB ports). External power is not required for this HUB, but if you want to attach devices that require a powered HUB, you can get an optional plugin to power the HUB.

A simple Google search can reveal USB Hub choices and prices in your area.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an alternate solution, I found the HP "Solve a problem" for your HP Pavilion 310n Desktop PC.

They have a Compatibility Section as well as an oppertunity for you to Chat with an Online Technician.
    Scott

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Scott