Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Partitions (XP SP?)

Hi All,

On the wife's computer, she had to get 2 new HDs (250 GB) to replace the existing HDs (a 180 and a 250 GB). Let's NOT go down the path of restoring things (images) from a backup to the new drives (different issue).

The intent on partitioning the new drives was as follows:
    - Disk 0: active partition C: with Windows XP and other things that insist on living on the C drive (~44GB); partition for drive D to be be used for backups and other "stuff" (~188GB)
    - Disk 1: extended partition for drives E for programs (~44GB) and F for data (~188GB)

She started loading a few programs onto the E drive - maybe about half dozen.

However, somehow, the partitions ended up:
    - Disk 0: C drive as planned; E drive for programs with the half dozen loaded programs at ~188GB
    - Disk 1: D drive with nothing (~44GB); F drive for data as planned (~188GB).

Of course we can use the 2nd partition (currently labeled E) on Disk 0 for programs and other stuff since there's no reason to use an entire 188GB for just programs.

My questions:
    - if we re-letter the partitions/disks so that Disk 1/44GB partition is E (per original plan), with a temporary change of the current E to X, and then move/copy the programs from the current E/X to the new E (Drive 1, 44GB drive), will the registry (and other things pointing to E, such as the Start Menu) on C be happy? Maybe another way of asking the question is whether Windows cares where things are physically as long as the drive letters are the same before and after?
    - does the move/copy have to occur as an image (eg, True Image) or could we even do a Windows copy from current E/X to new E?

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Partitions (XP SP?)

Just to be sure that I understand, here is what I think you want to do...
    Copy all the files on drive E to drive D
    Temporarily rename current drive E to X
    Rename drive D to E
    Rename temporary drive X to D
    Wipe the contents of the new drive D (original E)

I have done something very simlar and had no ill effects. All the programs that expected to look on drive E were quite happy to carry on using the new drive E.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

You have the essentials of the plan. However, you did 2 of my steps in a different order, so I wasn't sure if it matters.

what I was doing:
    1. reletter the current E to X to free up the letter E
    2. reletter D to E
    3. copy the programs from X to E
    4. reletter X to D

what you said you thought I wanted to do:
    1. copy the programs from E to D
    2. reletter the current E to X
    3. reletter D to E
    4. reletter X to D

** Also, you didn't mention how you did the copying. I suggested one could use an image program or just the Win copy. How did you do it?

Thanks.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

I simply copied the files.

I showed the order I did, since that involved the smallest time interval that the E drive would not be valid, but so long as you don't try to run anything that needs E during the time it isn't available you shouldn't have a problem.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart.

Good point about minimizing the time for an invalid E. Will do.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

The deed is done - kind of.

We went thru the letter swapping and everything seemed ok at first.

After the first restart, however, a couple of things went south:
    - some icons of shortcuts that pointed to programs moved from the old E to the new E couldn't be displayed
    - with MS Office (previously installed on the old E and copied to new E), Office decided it still needed to gather more info and we needed to put in our Office CD for things to be found
    - CorelDraw wasn't happy either (some missing file) but apparently corrected itself

With that restart, we also got a chkdsk msg saying some formatting was not consistent. We had gotten this message earlier when we were building the system back up (eg, had to format one of the partitions). So I don't think this is attributable to the letter swapping.

After turning the system off and on, everything seems ok for now.

Thanks.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

I'm glad it seems to be OK now, but I wonder why your experience was more stressful than mine. I wonder if "we also got a chkdsk msg saying some formatting was not consistent" might have been the cause, rather than the change of drive letters.

StuartR