2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Validation Not Working (Excel 2003)

Hi there.

So I have a named range (Categories) on one worksheet and the data for my spreadsheet in another.

On the data worksheet, I have a column for categories, which you are supposed to select from the dropdown list.

I click on the cell I want to add the categories dropdown box to > Data > Validation > select "List "> type in =Categories. As far as I can tell, that is the correct procedure. Here are the problems:

1) The down arrow doesn't appear, but I can right-click > pick from dropdown list, which seems to work. The strange thing is that it USED to work. But I can't figure out why it isn't working now.
    2) I have another section on the same worksheet where I would like to reuse the Categories list, but I can't even select the items from the right-click > pick from dropdown list option.

I thought that it might be an Excel bug or something might have gone "funny" so I shut down and restarted. That didn't help. I also created a new named range, that didn't help either. I tried to rename the named range, delete it and start again - nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JoeK

Thanks

Re: Validation Not Working (Excel 2003)

Could you post a version that does not work that we could look at? Remove any proprietary info

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here it is.

Thanks,

JoeK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your worksheets appear to be slightly corrupt. If I copy the entire worksheet to a new workbook, list validation won't work, whatever I specify. If I copy only the used range to a new workbook, I can set list validation and it'll work as intended. So you have a bit of work to do, I'm afraid.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It appears that there is some kind of corruption in that worksheet that is keeping data validation from working. I inserted a new worksheet and copied the data from the data to the new sheet. I then deleted the original Data sheet and renamed the new sheet to Data. Validation seems to work on the new sheet which I have attached.
    Legare Coleman