Thanks

Can't see computers that ARE there

I have my PC and my wife's laptop connected to a router and networked. I've recently added a Maxtor networked hard drive to do backups to, and after a bit of fiddling, got it to appear on the network too. I don't know if the following problem occurred immediately after that, but I've only just noticed it. In My Network Places, I only see the various users' folders on the networked hard drive, and in the Entire Network, in MSHOME, I only see the networked hard drive. Previously all the computers in the workgroup were visible there. If I search for lindaslaptop Windows finds it perfectly well and says that it is in MSHOME, and I have access to it OK. But it stubbornly refuses to appear if I explore MSHOME. Once I have found it, it appears in the folder list on the left in Windows Explorer, but still won't appear in the pane on the right, as the screenshot below shows. The same happens in reverse if she looks for my PC from her laptop.

Why?

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't see computers that ARE there

Your computer should also be listed.
    What changes did you make to your firewall?
    You may have blocked the computers from each other.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Can't see computers that ARE there

Yes, I had expected to see my computer there too. I didn't make any changes to the firewall (ZA) because I already have the whole range of IP addresses provided by the router in the trusted zone. I don't seem to have blocked the computers from each other, because I can see them if I search for them by name and I can then add a shortcut to them to My Network Places, and my wife can still print to the printer attached to my PC. They just don't seem to show up in the workgroup, though I have checked that they are in that workgroup.

Ian

Thanks

Re: Can't see computers that ARE there SOLVED

Eventually I solved this. I went to Network connections in Control Panel on both computers, looked at Properties and added Service, as below. I don't know why it had worked OK before - possibly installing the network drive, or perhaps a Windows security update (?) had changed something here. Anyway, it works now and I can see my computer, my wife's computer and the network drive in MSHOME. (I don't really understand what I have done, but tinkering around till I found something that works seems to be effective!)

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Now I'm really confused. You can't just add "Service". Clicking OK should take you to another dialogue box where you say what service you want to add.

StuartR

Thanks

Sorry - I abbreveiated the story. That is what it took me to next, I think.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So what service did you install then?

StuartR

Thanks

I *think* that it was the service advertising protocol. I now seem to have more things listed than before (see screenshot) and something has made it work. To be honest I was not quite sure what I was doing, so I set a system restore point and then played around a bit!

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

NWLink and SAP (Service Advertising Protocol) are only used for communication with Netware computers. See for example this article on NWLink Architecture. Sounds highly unlikely to me. Maybe these things are sent to confuse us!

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working.

StuartR