Star Lounger
    Thanks

Powerpoint to PDF (97 SR2)

I want to make a Powerpoint presentation consisting of 10 slides into one PDF file.

I have Acrobat Distiller V3, and have successfully made PDFs of complex PageMaker files, so have a bit of experience. I have also made PDFs of Word documents, so also know PDF Writer. There doesn't appear to be any 'Export' or 'Save As' option covering conversion to PDF directly, or even to a PS format.

I think it must be possible, but don't know how. Any suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Powerpoint to PDF (97 SR2)

How 'bout a real ugly work around?

First, I know nothing about creating PDF documents. However since this is only 10 slides; In PP you can run a slide show and do a screen print [Print Screen Key] while the presentation and paste that image into whatever graphics program you have including good ol' paint. Can you make PDF documents from these images?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi -

I haven't tried this with powerpoint presentations, but here's what I've done with other documents:

Go to file | print, select a Postscript printer, and choose "Print to file." When you're asked for the file name, name the file and give it a ".ps" extension. (You may also find that you have a Distiller Postscript handler listed in your printer choices - if so, use that).

Then open Distiller and distill that file.

Good luck!

Bill Arden

Star Lounger
    Thanks

speak2you - as you suggest, this would be a real 'dirty' way of doing it, and I think it would have to be a last resort.

Bill - I had already tried 'file to print' and although I could create a PRN file, Distiller couldn't handle it. I hadn't thought of changing the printer. I have a 'phantom' PS printer on my computer i.e. there isn't really one attached to the computer, but by simply adding one to the list, I have been able to get around a couple of other situations calling for a PS printer, and it seems to work. But not this time. At least I could create a PS file of the PPT file, but Distiller still couldn't create the PDF. Came up with a dialog box saying some sort of error.

But following your suggestion, a lightbulb went 'ding!' and I went back and checked the list of printers, and guess what! Acrobat PDF Writer was listed - I had not even noticed it before. So I chose that printer to send to print and bingo! created a PDF of the PPT file.

So indirectly Bill, you helped me get it done. Thank you.

BTW, I had used the template Dad's tie (know the one?) and changed the colours to reflect various tints and hues of the corporate colours. The tie itself looks fine in the PDF, BUT the 'drop shadow' effect either side came out as black lines in the PDF. Most unattractive. But at least now I understand how to do the process, I can go back in to the PPT file and fiddle around with templates so as to get a good final result.