New Lounger
    Thanks

REINSTALLING (SP1)

I format my drive every few months. Never had problems before except this time.

In the past, after downloading and installing all the necessary patches, it will automatically tell me I need to install SP2.

This time, it is not giving me that option and I can't even find SP2 anywhere.

Thanks!
    Denise

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: REINSTALLING (SP1)

Welcome to the lounge!

Let me try to give you some advice.

First, you can download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP from Microsoft website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
    I would recommend to save the file and burn it to CD for reinstalling purposes.

Second, if you install Windows XP frequently, it is make more sense to embed SP-2 into Installation CD. There are many step-by-step guides how to to it on the Internet, for instance:
    Langa Letter: How To Save An Hour (Or More) On XP Installs
    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
    Slipstreaming: Creating a WindowsXP Install CD with Service Pack 2
    and many more.

Third, if you like to reinstall Windows regularly, it is make more sense to create an "image" from your fresh installation using imaging utility, like Norton Ghost or similar, and simply restore your image instead of reinstalling Windows - about 15 minutes vs. several hours.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: REINSTALLING (SP1)

In addition to the good information in <post:=598,431>post 598,431</post:>, XP is not like Win9x OSes as far as needing to be reinstalled. Unless you are having problems with your system there isn't any good reason to reinstall. I've got XP systems at work that have not been reinstalled in 3- 4 years. My home system 4+ years.

Joe
    Joe