3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

compare documents including formatting (2000sp4)

Found that compare documents wasn't picking up differences in formatting between two documents. Thought I'd cracked it when found that tracked changes options were set to mark "none" for formatting. Changed to double understrike, but compare docs still not picking up differences in formatting (mostly colour of text, and different style applied to same text).

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: compare documents including formatting (2000sp

This is the Compare that is done "after the fact" rather than marking as you go with tracked changes? I have to say it isn't always reliable. Do you have the problem on all documents, or only ones that have complex formatting (e.g., lots of tables, automatic numbering)?

There also may be limits to how changed formatting is indicated (i.e., just a vertical bar in the margin). With Word 2002 and later, the "balloons" might allow for greater detail on these kinds of changes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: compare documents including formatting (2000sp

Yes, it is the after the fact compare. There are quite a few tables in some of the documents, but not all, and the formatting changes are limited - mostly variations in text colour/highlight, and in the styles applied to text in tables and figure legends (to facilitate indexing).

I chose double underscore to indicate formatting changes, and the line change option is set to outside border. Neither picks up differences in formatting.

From the tone of your reply I guess I'm not missing anything, and it's a limitation of the compare tool.

The problems with tracked changes in later versions are one of the main reasons I've stuck with Office 2000 (the other one being that most of it works quite well, with fewer resources than later versions, so why shell out to upgrade!).

Thanks anyway - looks like I'll have to go manual.