Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some odd problems

On my windows 2K PC I have a number of things installed - Office, Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio .NET 2003, SQL Server, IBM Client Access amongst other things. My PC is a Compaq Deskpro EN with a 933Mhz CPU, half a gig of RAM.

I could do with a new PC to run things faster, especially .NET, but that's another matter.

My issue is a series of problems that may or may not be related - I believe some of them are anyway. My sound stops working after my PC has been on for a while - works at first, then it doesn't. Only rebooting temporarily fixes. Also, the same happens with video streaming. If I try to view a video on say www.youtube.com, it will play a couple of seconds (with no sound) and freezes. Again rebooting fixes temporarily.

An issue I think is separate is viewing PDF files in IE - they open and then immediately shut. I can download and open them OK in Adobe Reader 7.0

Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix these issues? Please don't suggest rebuilding the PC!

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Some odd problems

Many "odd problems" are caused by everything getting too hot. Have you checked your fans and ventilation?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My PC's fan tends to go crazy if the PC has to do any hard work, e.g. running a Flash app, archiving email, compiling a VB app, etc., so maybe that might have something in it, allthough the hard disk was replaced only a few months ago so the box would have been opened and cleaned of fluff etc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> My PC's fan tends to go crazy if the PC ...

If the fan is not cooling the PC down, this could be the cause. As a friend reminded me recently of Occam Razor principle (paraphrasing here) rule out the simple things first. Also check the Power supply and Memory.
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If your PC is suffering from heat exhaustion, file corruption and eventual "lock up" will occur at a minimum if left to it's own time frame without you re-booting. My money is still on a heat problem as a root cause.