3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

windows media player

After my latest round of virus elimination, installing new AV and spyware software, repairing problems - another problem has occurred. I cannot use windows media player nine. I am running win2k and 9 seems to be the only choice for win2k. I remember earlier (probably a year ago- when I first installed media player 9) that I got the same install error message I got this morning. MP9 installation said "earlier install did not complete successfully and you must exit and complete before continuing" - No indication as to what failed or how to find it. When I first installed mp9 I just went ahead and everything seemed to complete normally. Did the same this morning, but mp9 will not play anything - only get a message saying "Internal error occurred".

I am running win2k, Firefox, AVG and Software Dr as my base system.

Two questions - 1 any idea about what the mp9 install is fussing about - or any way to find out?
    -2 any other decent (hopefully free) replacements for mp9 that work well.

Thanks

Tom

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: windows media player

Could be one of the a/v or spyware programs deleted something it shouldn't have. Have a look at WMP Mini-FAQ: A trouble-shooting guide for Windows Media Player problems. to see if anything there helps.

WINAMP.COM | Winamp.com: Media Player, Skins, Plug-ins, Videos, Songs, Riffs, Jams, Grooves, or Musicmatch Jukebox - World's best music player used to be pretty good. Don't know if they still are. I'm sure a google of "media player" will give you lots to look at.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Am I correct in thinking media player9 is only thing available for win2K?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are several alternative media players for Windows 2000 - do a google search for "windows 2000" "media player".

Administrator
    Thanks

WMP9 (Windows Media Player 9) is the only Microsoft product available for Win2k.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that you installed the right version of Windows Media Player 9.

Download the updated version of WMP9 from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
    and do not forget to install all hotfixes after WMP installation (KB886610, KB885492, KB828026), Codec Installation Package, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Went thru all the steps you listed and still got "internal application error occurred"

Is there any way to track doen which module got the error?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Open Event Viewer (click Start | Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter), locate your errors under Application or System (they will be clearly marked), double-click each of them and post error description, please.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the info - I was able to find several items that I did not even know were problems, BUT - I recreated the media player problem and consistently can force the "application internal error" at will - these errors do not show up in either the systems log or the applications log.

Tom

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not a lover of Windows Media Player, especially the versions above 7.1, since they got into the 'phone home' things of sending MS what you are viewing/playing in it. I've found that WinAmp is a far better player with a much smaller footprint, using far less resources than WMP. It plays just about all formats if you have the needed codecs installed. You can get the older versions of WMP HERE. 6.3 and 7.1 are both great.