mrook

Not enough memory (Access97)

I am trying to modify and enter new info into a database that was created by an administrator. It is on a 3 1/2 floppy, but when I reach a certain point in the database, Access will not let me go any further and tells me that I do not have enough memory. We were told to compact the database in order to fit it on the floppy, but it is not letting me. Then when I try to exit Access or even just that particular database, I keep getting the not enough memory error. The database is rather large - 947 names and info, but I only need to filter out 131 of these names and info. I can filter and these are the ones I am working on, but I get the not enough memory message. Is there a way to just save those that are filtered out? Help, please. Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not enough memory (Access97)

947 names is NOT a large database. 90,000 names is a fairly large database.

Can you be more specific about the message you get and exactly what you're trying to do? If you're truly getting an out of memory message, that doesn't really have anything to do with the size of the database, so we need more information.

How are you compacting the database, and where does it ordinarily live, on a floppy or on a hard drive? How big is the file itself, not the number of records but the size you see in an explorer window? What other applications do you have open when you try this? What version of Windows are you using? What kind of machine and how much RAM does it have? How big is your hard drive and how much of it is free?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also, inform us of the Windows version you are using. I have received this message when exporting 5000 page reports, and it was related to the o/s memory handling....

Giovanni

The reason of this behaviour is not the size of the table or the RAM but the bad memory management of ACCESS. There is a complete explanation of this problem as well as solutions in the ACCESS Online Encyclopedia (see link below)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excuse me, but the memory management problem isn't Access, it's in Windows and VBA. You can certainly aggravate it from Access or from any other application by not properly cleaning up object variables, etc., but the problem still lies in the operating system and the programming.
    Charlotte

mrook

Charlotte ~
    The computer we were using eventually crashed the next day so there is no telling what the problem was. We switched to a laptop and put it on the hard drive, and then got a completely different high density disk and were able to save it on that disk and continue working. I don't have access (pun) to that computer any longer so I can't get the info that you need. I'm just glad it worked on another computer. We had to save it on a disk and turn in to mgt., so we were able to do that. Thanks for your help.