5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP loosing SATA drive (XP SP2)

Hi,
    Wonder if anyone can help?
    During boot up of my system, XP sporadically looses the SATA drive. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I have to reboot about 5 times to get XP to recognise it. Does anyone know why this is happening?
    As far as I can see all cables are connected correctly and firmly. I have recently been using Diskeeper PRo 2006 & XP Repair Pro 2006, would these have caused any issues?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP loosing SATA drive (XP SP2)

Seemly it is a driver problem.

Open Device Manager (click Start | Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter), and look for any yellow question marks. Update drivers for these devices.
    If there is no question mark for your SATA controller, right-click it and from pop-up menu choose Update Driver. If Windows will found no better drivers, visit your SATA controller vendor website and look for driver update.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, I tried this last night and all seems to be okay with the drivers.
    Subsequently (again sporadically) I seem to be loosing dll files during boot (well being displayed as corrupt or missing), so that the system does not start up. One of these is the hal.dll file, and I have another one, but cannot remember what its called. Again rebooting 5/6 times cures this temporarily.
    I have a MAXTOR harddrive and downloaded their utility PowerMAX to verify disc integrity. It came back with everything being okay.

I have recently reinstalled XP due to having 2 copies of it running at the same time. I'm wondering whether this didn't quite work out. Would you recommend using a different method (apart from booting from XP CD) to reformat the hard drive and reinstall? I'm considering going down this line as I have little on the harddrive that I need to keep and I'm getting frustated with the instability of the system. PowerMAX does have a facility to reformat the hard drive, so I'm wondering whether to use this initially to remove all data and OS, then booting from the XP CD to reinstall and partition.

I'm mainly asking for advice because I'd prefer not to be going through the same thing in a weeks time and want to do it the right way first time round.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I seem to be loosing dll files during boot

Immediately click Start | Run, type

chkdsk /r

and hit Enter (make sure to put a blank space between chkdsk and /r). Confirm your choice and restart your computer.
    Then you can take a little break, drink coffee or watch TV - the process will take a time, please be patient!

After Check Disk completes and Windows starts, I would recommend to run Disk Defragmenter (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter).