4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Selective table content (All)

I have an interesting challenge in front of me - hope you guys can help out with few suggestions.

We current have a document that provides instruction for installation etc for six different sub-systems. They all share common information held in tables and specific paragraphs. But customers are complaining that there is TOO much information as they are already interested in a particular sub-system. So what I have asked to do is: breakup the document in six parts (that is OK) but the crunch comes where the shared information has to be divided up. This shared information is with tables (one or more tables).

Therefore, I must find a way of storing all information in a table but the information within to be available to one of the six sub-systems on a selective basis. How can this be done. So, I was thinking that this table of information (it could be held in Excel if necessary - doesn't have to be in Word), would be as follows:

C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Y Y N Y N N
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf N Y Y Y Y N
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf N N Y N Y Y
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf N Y Y N N N
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Y N Y Y Y Y
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Y Y Y N Y Y
    Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf Inf N Y N Y Y N

Then depending on the contents of S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6 generate another table (6 of them) with the row of data of set to Y or show/hide rows. So, out of this one huge table that contains data for multiple systems, I would generate six different tables by selectively copying the rows. Not sure if this is possible or even a good idea. Any other thoughts as to how I can do this? Perhaps by hiding/showing appropriate rows when copying the table to a specific sub-document? Can this be done easily?

Any ideas welcome? Perhaps have the table in Excel and somehow import it into Word so that it only imports relevant rows of information? I don't know. Just thinking aloud here really. What I want it flexible way of controlling the content of the table. I may even have to do this with paragraphs but that for another day.

Thanks in advance.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks

Re: Selective table content (All)

Word's hidden text feature will suppress a row if the entire row is selected, but this assumes that the user is not viewing hidden text while editing. In general, though it is a good idea to view hidden text while editing (helps avoid strange errors or, when sharing documents, unwanted suprises). Excel's hidden row feature seems more foolproof. In either application, you could attach a macro to a button (in the document/workbook) or a toolbar button that selects the appropriate parts to display/hide.

(I probably don't fully understand your proposed table. I think it's directions for your code, rather than containing actual content.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Robie,

I'm not sure what you want as the output or how you currently have information stored. But would a mail merge do what you want?

Say you have all the sub-system dependent information stored in a data source (which could be in Excel or another Word file). Sounds like there would be 6 records for the 6 different parts (this is where I'm a little vague on what you want). You'd also have a Word "main" document into which the variable information is merged. Then during the merge process, each record from your data source is merged with the "common" information to create multiple versions of the "main" document. You can also examine each record from the data source and decide to skip that record, assuming you have some criteria by which you make the decision.

HTH

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using a simpler version of the same idea, you could create a separate document with each piece of information you might need, then create instruction documents that use { INCLUDETEXT } fields to pull in the required sections in the correct place.

Even easier, and possibly more maintainable, you could put all the different document sections in one "Master" document, and use bookmarks to identify each section. You can then create the real instruction documents and use { INCLUDETEXT "filename.doc" bookmark } wherever you need common text.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. It seems my description was not clear. I will try to explain as simply as I can:

Current
    One large document that describes 'all & everything' for six different software programs. The customer is expected to extract 'relevant' infomation from the document for his particular program. All programs are based on the same fundamentanal structure & hence a single document describing all six programs. The customers are complaining that it is too much information and they only need to know about their particular program. Therefore, a need to divide this document into six separate docs. One aspect of the document is a large list (table) of items & its descriptions applicable to one or more of these sub-programs.

What is needed
    1. Divide the current document into six separate documents - i.e. describing a particular sub-program
    2. Need to be able to maintain these documents easily
    3. A list (table) of items & descriptions that may be applicable to one or more of these sub-programs. Therefore, I was thinking of putting this as a separate document and columns for each sub-program to indicate of this row of information should be available as part of this particular sub-program. (As I defined in my original post). This table could be in Excel if necessary - if it is easier to maintain. For example, a programmer may added a row of information and then indicate in the columns that this particular row is only available to sub-program 2, 4 & 5. Therefore, when new documents are generated the new information added is only printed for sub-program 2, 4 &5.
    4. This table would be included in the print run & it should only print the relevant information for the particular sub-program.

Hope this is clear enough. (fingers crossed).

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

I an intrigued by your idea of 'MASTER' document & use of bookmarks. Not sure I follow you though. Perhaps you can expand a bit more? I hate the 'Master' / 'Sub' document feature of Word - It has given me no end of trouble. I hope you are not suggesting that.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred

I tried to look into mail-merge but wasn't sure about it. Don't know enough about it at the moment. Will look into it bit more today.

What I am saying is this. This table it shared between six different documents and only the relevant rows are "copied/available/printed/included' in the specific documents.I have table of information. Each row of information could be available to all or some of the sub-programs docs.

Col1 Col2 Col3 - S1 S2 S3 ...
    Data Data Data - Y N Yes This row should appear in the document for S1 & S3
    Data Data Data - N N Yes This row should appear in the document for S2 only

Hope this is clear.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a very simple example of what I was talking about, definitely not Master-Sub documents, just a source document with bookmarked text for each subsection and a real document that uses IncludeText fields to pull in the sections it wants.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Robie,

Looking at your email to me and your "revised" specs, I'm not sure if mail-merge is the best tool. I didn't understand the S1, S2, S3 columns in your email to me since your specs talk about more than 3 docs. I'll assume there could be more than 3 subsystem docs that your col1, col2,... data could apply. Further, in the 2nd row of your email to me, you had a Yes in what appears to be the S3 col but your explanation said the info should only be used in the doc for S2. I'll assume it should have been for S3.

The above being said, mail-merge may not be the best tool. Each record of a mail-merge (eg, the col1, col2, col3 info on one line would be 1 record) supplies information for 1 document. So if you wanted to use the same info for multiple docs, say S1 and S3, that would be difficult. You could duplicate the info to create a new record. I think I may have seen something long ago that allows 1 record to be used for multiple mail-merge doc but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm unclear as to whether multiple rows of information could apply to a single document. For example, the information on the 1st row could apply to S1 and S2 while the info on the 2nd row applies to S2 and S3. What would you do when printing the doc for sub-system S2?

It seems that Stuart's approach might be better. If you create the sub-system documents and then the variable info that could apply to 1 or more sub-system docs, you can use includetext fields to refer to a file of specific info. For example, suppose you have some variable info in a file called V1. V1 is needed in sub-system docs S1 and S3 but not S2. Then S1 and S3 have an includetext field for the file V1. If the variable info appears in multiple places, you can have multiple files and just use includetext fields appropriately. I think you can use the same approach with bookmarks that Stuart suggested but that seems to put all the variable info into 1 file.

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart.

But I am getting "Error! Not a valid filename." whenever I change anything in the 'Source Data' file? Don't understand it. I also tried to create my own source and example file - same result - "Error! Not a valid filename". Don't get it.

Also - how do I get multple rows to appear in the example document? Just to try it out - I duplicated the 'bmkSecond' row several times and changed the cell contents. But they still do not appear in the example document. I am sure, I am doing something stupid.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure you have saved both files to the same folder. Or use Alt-F9 to display field names and replace the filename "Source data" with the full path and filename to the source data document.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Both the files are in the same folder.

One more question: How do I get [b]multple rows to appear in the example document[b]? Just to try it out - I duplicated the 'bmkSecond' row several times and changed the cell contents. But they still do not appear in the example document. I am sure, I am doing something stupid.

Regarding the bookmark:

1. do we add the bookmark at the beginning of the para, end of para or select the whole para?
    2. for table rows - same question as above - how & where do we insert the bookmark?

Thanks

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am sorry this has gone on far too long. Please be patient with me. I am trying to get the grips with includetext and bookmarks.

Is it possible to 'mark', for example

Row 2, 4 & 6 as for 'bmkSecond'? Can this be picked up by the 'Example Document'? that is, it include only rows 2, 4, & 6 in the document?

Thanks

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Each bookmark can only include a single range from the source document. If you need table rows 2, 4 and 11 then you will need three separate bookmarks.

To make this easier you could use multiple documents, instead of multiple bookmarks in the same document, either will work just the same.

To bookmark a table row, select the entire row and Insert > Bookmark. Turn on the display of bookmarks (Tools > Options > View > Bookmarks) to see [ ] characters showing you what is included in each bookmark.

One other issue you may have is that each IncludeText field will be followed by a paragraph mark, so you can't create a table that has multiple separate rows from the source, you will have to have separate tables, or bookmark the text in each cell to include it as text rather than a table row.

StuartR