3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Manual with TOC on web (Word 2000 SR1)

Thanks to all who helped me recover my manual. The solution that worked was the option "recover text from any file" in Word. Now I have the entire manual (900+ pages) but without a TOC. I asked my director if we could please stop printing it and place it on the web with a link from our home page. I was hoping the users could just go to the TOC and click on a transaction and then take them to the corresponding page. I know this is doable in Word but I wasn't sure where to start. I think I have to go to each page with the transaction title and highlight it and give it a style like I did for the TOC, but then I am not sure where to go from there. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Manual with TOC on web (Word 2000 SR1)

Hi Melanie,

Once you have set this up in Word with a working TOC, try SaveAs HTML. Word will convert your document to a web page. The Table of Contents will have active hyperlinks to your headings.

You can then edit your manual in HTML format to move the TOC to the initial display.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

I envision people accidentally printing a 900 page web page, and it isn't a pretty sight. (No slight meant to your formatting.)

If your web site supports active content (such as ASP), you might consider a database-driven solution. You would make up a standard format for a page, and then feed the content into it from a database. If you are working with plain text, this will work very well. However, yes, we are talking about a lot of work to convert over. Best of luck finding a workable solution.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Melanie,

I wouldn't be using Word for this. It's doable, but it's not the right tool.

I don't think that putting the whole 900 pages into a single page would be a good idea either. It would make for a slow loading page which is hard to manage.

I'd do something along these lines:

.Use Word to recreate your TOC
    .Copy your TOC into Front Page or an HTML editor. Even better if you can swot up on some HTML.
    .Work out your page navigation, and construct a basic schema (go to next page, previous page, back to TOC)
    .Save each chapter as a separate html document, including the links
    .Construct links from the TOC to each chapter

It's tedious, but it will create a much more usable online document.

And it's something else to put on your resume.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.