New Lounger
    Thanks

Help with anti-spam? PLEASE??

Hello guys, You all have been very helpful in the past, and anyway today, I bought this MCafee Antispam program for my email protection. Ummmmm . Well the problem is (I think) dealing where you enter the email ingoing and outgoing server information. I am sure alot of you use Yahoo email, and was wondering if anyone knows if the incoming is = (pop.mail.yahoo.com) and the outgoing is = (smtp.mail.yahoo.com)
    I just cant get it to work properly. The only reason I spent 29.99 is that I got a free MCafee security package with my Comcast Broadband and it has a little box that comes up every time you log in. Showing 1,2,3,4.
    1) Antivirus ... then it shows a little green light and says system safe
    2) Firewall.... then is shows greenlight and system safe.
    3) Privacy tools (anti-fishing I guess) same deal green light and "system safe"
    4) antispam (did not come free with it) and has a huge red light and flashes DANGER SYSTEM at risk, etc!!!!!
    So it eventually got me paranoid. Thanks for hearding(reading) my story
    Robert

Thanks

Re: Help with anti-spam? PLEASE??

Robert.
    I don't use either Yahoo mail or McAfee but the settings for Yahoo mail should be:
    ----------------------------------
    Yahoo! Mail Settings
    Unlike Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail offers standard POP3 access for receiving emails incoming through your Yahoo mailbox, by using your favorite email client software. To setup your email client for working with your Yahoo account, you need to select the POP3 protocol and use the following mail server settings:
    Yahoo Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.mail.yahoo.com (port 110)
    Yahoo Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 25)
    -----------------------------------

Also another site for setting up Yahoo is HERE

Another thought about the big warning box is maybe McAfee is looking for you to update the virus definitions, if you haven't yet done so. Who knows how old the definitions are that come with the program? So update right away even if that isn't the cause of all the alarms.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read Bob's <post#= 599,712>post 599,712</post#> , he has the correct incoming and outgoing yahoo settings (Help reference is great). One note Bob has pointed out, make sure you specify the port - or you will not be able to send or receive your E-Mail.

I use Yahoo (my main ISP) and have no problems downloading or sending E-Mail. I am using Outlook 2000 for main E-Mail application. I like to set Yahoo WebMail with filters to catch some of the SPAM BEFORE it gets downloaded (Help Searches here).

NOTE:Yahoo uses Norton Enterprise AniVirus software on their mail servers.
    Scott

Thanks

Most good anti-spam installers will detect your current mail settings and re-route them.

Before:

Mail software ----> Mail server

After:

Mail software ----> McAfee program ----> Mail server

The mail software should point to the McAfee program, which usually is on your own computer with an address similar to 127.0.0.1 (the "loopback" address) and the McAfee program should have the server names and port numbers that your mail software used before.