New Lounger
    Thanks

HDD partition for clean install

I will be re-formating and re-installing XP/Pro. I have a Maxtor 300GB SATA HDD that had three equal partitions of aprox 100GB each. Does anyone have any recommendations for the partition size/sizes when I reformat?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HDD partition for clean install

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnGray on 18-Sep-06 08:40. additional comments)</P>Options: <UL><LI>There is one school of thought which says to make the whole disk one partition - this minimises the management of 'free disk space' and means you'll never have to repartition the disk because one partition has run out of space,<LI>another which says make the C: drive big enough to store all likely programs (and the Page File) during the life of the drive (20-50 GB, say?), leaving the second partition to store "user data" - this separation is supposed to make it easier to restore a corrupted operating system/registry/etc. Putting the page file on the first partition minimises disk head travel if a lot of paging takes place<LI>and yet a third which subdivides the data partition (now plural) into more parts for specific requirements.[/list]Me, at home I have single partitions on both PCs (one has a 400 GB RAID-1 array),
    and at work on new PCs (where disk sizes are at least 120 GB) I allocate the C: drive as 40 GB and "the rest" as the second partition.
    On all machines I move the CD and/or DVD drive letter(s) lower down the alphabet, using R: for a read-only DVD drive and W: for a read/Write CD drive (for example!).

YMMV, chacun
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

John, thank you for your input. I think I want to set up a 50GB C: for system and programs and the remainder of the disk for DATA. This is the first computer that I built from scratch and probably made a lot of mistakes setting it up the first time. I used the computer for 15 months before my registry got all messed up by downloading IE7. Anyway this will be the first time for me to re-format and re-load XP/pro. It may be out of the scope of this board but may I ask how to go about re-formating HD for 50GB for system and 250GB for DATA? Does XP know to put the data on the other partition or do you have to tell it. Also, you said to put page file on c:. I'll be using NTFS file type. Any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks

For the sake of clarity.
    --------------------------------------------------
    how to go about re-formating HD for 50GB for system and 250GB for DATA? Does XP know to put the data on the other partition or do you tell it.
    ---------------------------------------------------

You first <big>partition</big> your drive for 50 gigs and 250 gigs, then <big>format</big> both partitions. The 50 gig to be the active partition ( C: ) and the 250 to be a logical partition, D: or whatever letter you want it to be.

You must tell the system where you want the data to be stored or everything will try to be on the C drive.

With the two partitions on the same physical drive, then page file should go on the C drive. If you had two separate physical drives and the other drive was a faster drive then the page file should go on the faster drive. There has been a LOT of discussion as to where best put the page file but I subscribe to the type outlined above.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!