5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Default folder in 'open' dialog box (2003)

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I set up Microsoft Word to go directly to a set folder by default whenever I go into the "Open" dialog box. Whenever I would resume from sleep or hibernation mode and use Word, the Open box woudl go to that folder.

For a couple of days now, I realized that Word is no longer going to that folder. Rather, it is going to the last folder in which I opened a document or did a "Save as . . ."

Does anyone know what happened? How can I go back to that old setting?

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Default folder in 'open' dialog box (2003)

Are you exiting from Word in between each of these attempts?

My understanding is that when you first start Word it will go to the folder defined in Tools > Options > File Locations > Documents
    but when you try to open another document without exiting from word it will go to the last folder you opened a document from.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there.

I am not exiting from Word. Often, I am simply using Word, then the computer goes to sleep, and I resume in Word.

I have the dialog box to go to a folder called "Semester 3" by default. However, it has not been going there for a few days now and only goes to the last folder I opened. Before this, like last week, it would always go to Semester 3 whenever it would resume from sleep.

Thanks,

JMT

Thanks

Did you lose the setting from this thread or did it stop working? Open Dialog Box (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As I mentioned, I set it to go to Semester 3, and it is no longer going there, since about a week now. Rather, it just goes to the last folder that I had open.

Thanks

If that does not work, because Word prefers to return to the last folder you navigated to in that dialog, then you might have to try something more radical to overcome Word's usual behavior. Check out Hans' answer in this thread: File Open default (Word 2000)