5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My laptop is too slow

Hi,
    I have Toshiba laptop 1 y/old.
    My daughter is using it to IM. There is nothing installed that is heavy duty. At some point it became so slow I can fall asleep waiting for WindowsXP to load up.
    I have updated my McAfee, I have installed and ran Ad-aware and Spy-sweeper and both found nothing but few cookies that we got rid off.
    I remember those 2 were finding horrific things on my old PC and it was really helping to speed it up.

So my Task manager shows i have 67 processes running (I had heard it is suppose to be twice less).
    I checked startup and there tons of Toshiba stuff that is OK to have (according to sysinfo.org)

I had deleted all from InternetOptions - History, files - all of it.

It is running, it is not dying but there is (I am SURE SURE) something running I haven;t checked for, something I overlooked.
    Please, advice.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My laptop is too slow

I would say there are a few things you haven't (said that you've) checked (in no particular order of seriousness) and I mingle these in with some questions:
    1. <LI>how much free space have you got on your hard disk, and how often do you defragment it?<LI>have you examined the Performance tab in Task Manager to check whether you have adequate real memory to run efficiently? (Divulge the 'Physical Memory, Total', the 'Commit Charge, Total', and the 'Commit Charge, Peak' values)<LI>you say you have examined what gets loaded into memory when you first start the PC -- can you list these, please?<LI>And do you have XP Home or XP Pro, and what processor have you got (see Control Panel -> System -> General tab)
    Questions, questions!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have 88% of the hard disc available
    I have Task manager at 2% and it is slow...I imagine if it was more...laptop would be frozen forever
    I can list what gets loaded below
    XP Home, Celeron - I will post it later.

I called Tech support and was given advise to reload system. It is useless they said to try to repair, it could be that stuff got there and damage done long time ago blah...blah...blah...

I am probably going to end up doing it.
    What do you think? Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You've answered some of my questions, so we know it isn't a chronic lack of disk space.

Nothing appeared as an attachment to your post, though.

And to add to previous questions:<UL><LI>have you recently run CHKDSK C: /F /V /R from a Command Prompt window, replying Y to allow it to do a (perhaps very lengthy) disk check at the next reboot?<LI>have you looked with the Event Viewer in your System Event Log, to see if there are any disk-related Errors?[/list]John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...