Lounger
    Thanks

Access decommissioned (2003)

My boss told me this morning that he heard a rumour from Microsoft that they were going to be dropping Access from its product suite. Due to this we are rethinking the idea of my taking time to learn the software. Has anyone else heard this rumour or have any idea of its validity?
    thanks,

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access decommissioned (2003)

Access is not being dropped, but if I remember correctly, VBA, which is the programming language for Access will be dropped. Access is supposed to have a new programming language, probably a variant of VB.Net, which is a very different animal from VB/VBA. No learning is wasted, though, and it's easier to learn .Net if you already know VBA.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Where can we find out what is going to be included in Acces 2007? eg. vb.net , etc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Patt

Remember the Blog about new features from <post#=524,004>post 524,004</post#>
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John, a lot of reading there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you know of any good references to learn .net from Charlotte? Just to keep up so when it arrives i can be competent when i have to be.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That question is a lot like "how long is a piece of string", it doesn't have an easy answer.

I think if you haven't had any exposure to .Net, then Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition for Dummies would be a good start, and it includes a copy of VB 2005 Express. That would at least get you used to the development environment and let you get somewhat familiar with the differences before it becomes a necessity. There is a reasonably priced DVD set called Learn Visual Basic.Net in 12 Hours, by Rick Dobson, that includes demonstrations and a lesson on two on .Net with ADO.net and xml that might also help, but it is based on VB 2003, which is the prior version of .Net. Basics remain the same, though, so it should still be useful.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Patt

This page of the New Features blog makes it pretty clear that VBA is staying, but that:
    "in Office Access 2007, programmers will also have the option of enhancing their Access applications with add-ins and smart panes based on managed Microsoft .NET code."

Also that "The primary application programming interface (API) for working with the Microsoft Jet database engine from code is Data Access Object (DAO). "
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is staying, but it will not be updated or improved since it is based on VB6, which is old technology When Access first switched from AccessBasic and Excel from its macro language to VBA, the same kind of backward support was in place ... for a while. I would not expect it to last forever. DAO on the other hand, has been resurrected, and wisely in my opinion, because it is optimized for the Access interface, if not for data handling in general. To get the most bang for the buck in professional applications, managed code will most likely be necessary, which means .Net. For desktop and do-it-yourself databases, you won't be forced to jump ship just yet.
    Charlotte