5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making My Wireless Connection More Secure

I recently switched Internet providers to Verizon Online (dry-loop DSL). The modem Verizon provided (an Actiontec) is also a wireless router, so I can now connect to the Internet in my apartment without an ethernet cable.

This is wonderful, of course, but I'm concerned about security. I run Windows XP and use Norton for virus protection and the free version of ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

Are there any settings within Windows I should review to make sure my computer is as secure as it can practicably be? I'd also appreciate some good articles on this subject.

Thanks a lot.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making My Wireless Connection More Secure

Start with security on the wireless router first, and work inwards to the PC! Let's hope it's a wireless firewall router.

What security is available on it? WEP? WPA? WPA2? WEP is (somewhat) better than nothing, WPA2 is the best currently available (you may need an optional update from Microsoft), and your wireless cards would need to support it. See if KB893357 is installed on your system.

Lots of cheerful reading of the manual involved, probably...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Making My Wireless Connection More Secure

Also what "Name" have you used for the "Workgroup" network?
    If you use any of the "Default" one, I would change to something that only you would know.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.