2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro to Unprotect Form (XP)

I'm trying to create a macro to unprotect a form. Here's the scenario.
    I've created an AutoText entry that is a protected form. When adding the information into the last field of the AutoText entry, I would like to run a macro on exit that would unprotect the form so the user can continue typing in the document.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Macro to Unprotect Form (XP)

The macro is simple: ActiveDocument.Unprotect

But if it is the last form field in the document, is there any easy way for the user to trigger the On Exit macro?

Actually, I don't know whether all of the properties of that form fields will survive the save-to-AutoText and insertion-into-document. Sounds like a novel approach!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could split the document into 2 sections, the one with the FormFileds and the other for the user to type whatever (s)he wants. Then make the first section ProtectedFor Forms and the second not, then activate documentprotection. After the user has filled the last Formfield of Section(1) and exits it with the Tab key, the cursor is automatically placed at the beginning of Section(2) and the user can type away.

Added
    'This method has one big disadvantage: a lot of Word funtionality is not available in a protected document. But there is an alternative, where protection is toggled depending on the position of the cursor. See HansV's <post:=342,898>post 342,898</post:> for a step by step elaboration of my original idea.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This needs to be autotext or macro and inserted at the end of a document. It's the Notary closing for legal documents.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I need to try the opposite. I created a autotext with notary signature content in a protected form. Then, I created a macro to run that autotext. I need the protect the autotext before I begin typing. I was thinking that Protect is the opposite of unprotect, but guess I'm wrong!

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True
    NormalTemplate.AutoTextEntries("notarycorp").Inser t Where:=Selection.Range _
    , RichText:=True
    ActiveDocument.Protect - I GET A COMPILE ERROR HERE

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what error you are getting, but you probably want the syntax
    <code>ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields</code>

StuartR

Thanks

For best results, create a section break before inserting your AutoText and protect only that section. Otherwise, users will have to unprotect to change anything else. Actually, they will have to unprotect to change paper trays, so this might not be the most convenient approach.

As an alternative, could you insert the unchangeable parts as an image? Oh, maybe not if the text fields are of variable length. Hmmm...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not familiar with Notary closing, so that doesnt mean anything to me. Can you attach example documents with and without the AutoText inserted?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Actually, I don't know whether all of the properties of that form fields will survive the save-to-AutoText and insertion-into-document. <hr>
    AutoText entries can contain FormFields and their properties will be preserved when inserted into a document. I use this very often. They can be called by their name after insertion, provided that the names of the FormFields are unique for the whole document. If a name already exists, then either the inserted FormField ends up nameless, or the previously present FormField loses it's name. (It's not clear to me why this behaviour isn't consistent.)