3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repartitioning on the fly (SP2)

Not sure if this belongs in XP or software finds and wants. I have 2 250GB hard drives. I was a bit stingy when partitioning my root drive, and now need to enlarge some partitions (including c. I don't have enough space on the second drive to image the whole of the first drive, but could image a couple of partitions at a time.

Is there anything within XP that will allow me to repartition on the fly? I had thought that this was possible in the disk manager, but I can't seem to do it now. Data could be destroyed in the logical drives being destroyed, but not others on the same physical drive (and not, for instance, the whole of the extended partition). If not, is there a free alternative to PartitionMagic and its ilk, or if so, can Ghost restore a drive to a larger space and make use of that space, or does the image contain a definition of the drive size (this is obviously only a consideration for C?

I obviously need to rely on whatever utility I choose, as I don't have the space to back up everything on either drive at one time.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Repartitioning on the fly (SP2)

it's not free ( $49.99 US ) but it will do the job for you:

ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Repartitioning on the fly (SP2)

Take a look at Free Partition Editors, Managers and Recovery (Partitioning Software) (thefreecountry.com) and Free Partition Manager - Super Fdisk online Manual. I've not used any of these so I can't vouch for any of them. ALSO, BACKUP your system BEFORE attempting to resize anything.

Joe
    Joe