New Lounger
    Thanks

Image control - lack of JPG file type (2003 SP2)

When trying to insert a JPG image to an image control, the 'Graphics Files' filter does not have any JPG type listed, nor is there a separate JPG type shown such as I have seen on other machines. The file types are all there when inserting into any other Office application and they display correctly. I have uninstalled and re-installed Access, removed and added the Converters and Filters and run the Office Conversion Pack - all to no avail. If I try and insert a JPG file by using 'All Files (*.*)', I get an empty frame and no content at all. On opening a previous copy of this database, also made by me on this PC, JPG images on forms display properly. Before I go mad, does anyone have any ideas please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image control - lack of JPG file type (2003 SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Have you tried importing all database objects from the problem database into a blank new database, to see if this gets rid of the problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Image control - lack of JPG file type (2003 SP

Hans

Thank you for the welcome. A colleague has been a user for some time and although I get the Access newsletter I've not been on the board.

In answer, I haven't, although I will try. However, in a new blank database or on any existing one I choose at random, if I try and add an image to a form I have the same problem. I think there is just something screwy about my Access and graphics. I don't see why other Office apps all work normally but Access says not. As existing images display properly, I assume it must have something to do with the import filter somehow. But again, why a remove and install of Access doesn't fix it is peculiar. Maybe I need to remove Office completely and reinstall the whole suite. I just know it will be something small and silly if only I could find it! A registry entry probably (I have looked).

All the best,

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the default application associated with .jpg files (check the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

The default is the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Everything seems to be normal, including, as I say, for all other Office apps. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Stablehand

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you do the following?
    - Right-click an (any) .jpg file in Windows Explorer,
    - Select Open with | Choose Program... from the popup menu
    - Select Paint and tick the check box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", then click OK.

Does this make a difference when you try to open a picture in Access? If not, you can always restore the association of .jpg files with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did that and no change. Attached is the file list I have and have had since I lost JPGs.

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're missing more than just .jpg: .gif, .pcx, .png, .tif are missing too. You have already tried the obvious things such as reinstalling Access and the graphics filters, so unless someone comes up with a clever idea, completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office, and if that doesn't work, reinstalling your PC from scratch seem the only things left. Sorry.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was rather afraid that you'd come to that conclusion as it is the only thing left I can think of too. Such a pain as it's all the apps and utilities I use that need reinstalling, registering, configuring etc. etc. A last resort solution but almost inevitable. I'll still hope there is some bright spark who knows how to hack something to make it work. I know in the end a fresh installation will work faster - it's just the pain barrier one has to go through!
    I appreciate your thoughts and help Hans.

All the best,

Peter