Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Settings Between Profiles (XP Pro SP2)

Hi,

I have created a new user profile on my laptop for "disconnected" use (e.g. while traveling, commuting), as opposed to being network-connected. I want to copy most of the settings from my "connected" profile to the "disconnected" profile, except for the obvious things like network drive mappings. I thought I could use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to do this, but it seems to rely on performing an actual transfer rather than just creating a file of settings that I could then import to the new profile when I log on as the disconnected user.

Does anyone know an easy way of accomplishing this? Can I still use FAST? I'm think of settings like taskbar shortcuts, application preferences (especially MS Office), etc.

Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Settings Between Profiles (XP Pro SP2)

Answered my own question! I somehow had overlooked the option to store the settings file locally.

FYI to interested readers: the resulting settings files (there are 2 created, at least in my test) are stored in the obviously-named (NOT!) folder "USMT2.UNC". Also, when you want to restored the settings be aware that once you locate the settings file and click "Next" there is no warning to begin the transfer or allow you to select what to restore -- restoration begins immediately and is for everything that the settings files contains.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Settings Between Profiles (XP Pro SP2)

You're right! It would be SO nice if you were also told what settings you'd got.

And why there is such a disparity between the folder sizes for two machines... USMT2.UNC is 48 MB on one PC, 1055 MB on the second!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...