Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Importing from Publisher (Office XP)

We would like to import into Word something which has been created in Publisher, and perform a Mail-Merge using the resulting Word document.

The Publisher document is a multicoloured and colour-gradated Membership Certificate, and we want to mailmerge-in the organisation name and the membership number.

However, cutting and pasting the Publisher document into Word seems to create a text box in Word, into which nothing can be typed. Trying to save the Pubhisher document into RTF or Word formats just gives a message to say that only the text can be saved, not the graphics. Of course the graphics were the reason why it was created in Publisher in the first place!

Has anyone any idea of what can be done to achieve the objective? My only suggested solution is the messy one of printing the Publisher document onto real paper (well, card), and then using that (like pre-printed headed paper) on which to print the mailmerged organisation name and membership number. I hope there is a better way...

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing from Publisher (Office XP)

Is there a particular reason for not using the mailmerge feature in Publisher itself (Tools | Mail Merge | Mail Merge Wizard)?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sadly, yes! We are using an Access database written by an external supplier, from which the organisation name and membership number comes, which presently only supports mailmerge in Word...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But can't you initiate the mail merge from Publisher and connect to the appropriate table or query in the Access database?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately the Access database system is a black box to us; it does mailmerge for the organisations by invoking Word to do the mail-merging. We don't have access (ha-ha!) to the tables within the database...

Perhaps we could shame the suppliers into supporting Publisher mailmerge, but that could be weeks or months off, whereas we would like to do it this week!

[Am I getting the idea that you don't think that what we want to do is readily possible...?!]

Thanks

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I Select All (Ctrl+A) in a Publisher document, then copy and paste into a Word document, text boxes from Publisher become text boxes in Word in which you can type. So you could add a text box to the Publisher document before copying and pasting. Or you could add the text box in Word afterwards. In both cases, you should be able to insert the merge fields into the text box.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm with Hans - I would try to do this using Publisher but since you really want to do it in Word...

Try exporting the Publisher page as a graphic and then import that graphic into the header of the Word document and size it to fill the page. Now place the mailmerge fields in the correct locations in the body of the document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: in fact the original Publisher (2000) document contained text boxes within the body of the document! And these aren't accessible to us in Word (XP=2002).

Andrew: we've tried importing the Publisher (2000) document into the Word (XP=2002) header, and then typing data into the body of the Word document, but this simply appears after the Publisher document and prints in that way.

I have a nasty feeling that I am missing something fundamental here, since your results appear to differ radically from ours...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How about adding a text box to the Word document after copying and pasting the Publisher document? The text box will probably have a white fill (background) colour, but you can set it to No fill in the Format | Text Box dialogue.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

The fundamental problem is that the Publisher document "graphic" as pasted into Word cannot be clicked in at all, so trying to add a text box or anything whatever internally cannot be done. At least on the machine we're using since it has Publisher 2000 on. Grrrh.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I probably don't understand how you are copying and pasting the Publisher document, but that shouldn't matter. You should be able to insert a text box floating over the Publisher "graphic" by selecting Insert | Text Box. The mouse pointer will change to a small crosshair. Drag a rectangle where you want to add the merge fields, or simply click in the document (you can still move and resize it later). The text box will be created when you release the mouse button.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The transfer is being done by Edit -> Select All -> Copy in Publisher, then right-click on empty Word document then selects Paste.

When she tries your Insert -> Text Box in Word and clicks inside the 'graphic', the text box appears completely surrounding the Publisher document 'graphic'!

I think I will have to have a play myself tomorrow...

Thanks again

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Again, I don't understand. When I use Edit | Select All and Edit | Copy in Publisher, then Paste into Word, I get a bunch of individual objects, not a single graphic. But I use Publisher 2002 and Word 2002 (you hadn't mentioned 2000 in your original question). I don't think that should make a difference, but I can't be sure.

If the text box surrounds the entire Publisher graphic, the graphic must still have been selected. Try clicking outside the graphic to deselect it, then inserting a text box by dragging a rectangle, or by clicking outside the graphic.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

> When I use Edit | Select All and Edit | Copy in Publisher, then Paste into Word, I get a bunch of individual objects, not a single graphic
    Well, in Publisher you can see a whole heap of text boxes, but when it is pasted into Word it gives a single text box 'graphic', here, anyway!

I played this morning and found that, because the graphic is (almost) full-page, the Insert Text Box goes onto a second page, which is very disconcerting, but if you go back to page 1 you can click in an appropriate location and stretch a text box at the required locations.

But that all appears to work now, and happiness has occurred!

Thanks for your patience... (and to Andrew, too).

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...