Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Draco, the Greek, and spam

The client side is largely irrelevant (happens to be EasyNotification piping into Scanmail into Thunderbird).
    I have run the past month with the following definition of spam:
    "Any email with a vowel in the subject line is spam". Now I am toying with a simpler definition of spam: "Any sender with an 'at' symbol in their address is a spammer".

Before you react, please think about this.
    I have a white list of senders, which was built originally from my contact database and my mail client address book. I add to the white list as new senders creep in.
    I urge new contacts to send me an email from my web site, where the "contact me" link issues a prefabricated subject of "From the Chris Greaves Web Site", which (subject) is white listed.

My experience shows that very few, if any, new contacts arrive from an outside source. I rarely have to mark an entry as spam. If a new contact telephones me prior to sending an email, I am especially keen to watch out for that email.

If I were a larger firm or had a larger web budget, I would not receive any unsolicited email at all - the Great Unwashed Public would have to use the Form on my web page.

As a parallel, consider my telephone. Almost every caller who is unknown to me is a telemarketer or a wrong number. I get very few new contacts entirely unannounced; most times a colleague will have emailed me advising that they passed my name & number onto a prospect. If I hung up on any voice I did not recognise, I'd not lose much sleep.

Is anyone else out there employing such Draconian measures as my "vowel=spam" measure? If so, what are you finding.
    I don't want to sound mean, but I'm not particularly interested in hearing why it won't work from people who haven't tried it.
    I am interested in hearing from people who have tried it. Real Experience Tells.

Thanks

Re: Draco, the Greek, and spam

If you don't want email from strangers, your system makes sense. It's not something I can afford to do myself. I also find that mailing lists have a bad habit of changing their from/reply addresses, requiring additional approvals. Fortunately, we subscribed to a service that rejects "blatant" spam, making the quarantine very manageable.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Draco, the Greek, and spam

> don't want email from strangers,
    That's about it. It sounds strange to say that, though; on the surface, somewhat reclusive, but I have found that most "new" senders are known to me one way or another; I generally have advanced knowledge of them.