2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

subform links (2003)

i have attached my relationships window for clarification. i have a form based on tbl2Date. On this form i have a subform based on tbl3SetInfo. I am needing to link more than 3 fields to make this work properly. I need to link on the following fields:

JobNumber
    Date
    Set
    ReqStrength
    Is this possible? How do I accomplish this?

thanks,
    Jackal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: subform links (2003)

You can enter the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties manually:

JobNumber;Date;Set;ReqStrength;Location

Note: in the first table, the field appears to be named Loaction !

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you bring up the properties of the subform from within the main form, go to the Data tab.

Are you able to directly edit the "Link Child fields" and "Link Master fields"? You should be able to add the other two links?

Out of curiosity, why are these fields in different tables? If five fields comprise a unique record, are they indexed?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. Hans, thanks for the spelling error. Mike, I could have all the first 4 fields the same, thus the "Location" being the only different one. And for every one in tbl2Date there are at least 4 records in the tbl3SetInfo, sometimes more. Finally, the first 3 are indexed, not the ReqStrength or Location. Do they need to be?

thanks,
    jackal

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the combination of the 5 fields is (or should be) unique in tbl2Date, it might be a good idea to make this combination the primary key of the table.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Taking a look at the table structure

<pre>tbl2Date tbl3SetInfo
    ---------------- ----------------
    JobNumber JobNumber
    Date Date
    Set Set
    ReqStrength ReqStrength
    Location Location
    Slump Slump
    Air Air
    ID
    Strength
    </pre>

I'm not entirely sure why you repeat the ReqStrength, Slump, and Air. If tbl2Date is a table of tests, or something....one could make the key fields a combination of JobNumber, Date, and Location. Theoretically, I would not do the same job more than once at a location on a given date.

Assuming this is correct (and I am not sure what slump and air are), the data that relates to a given job, at a location, on a date would also reside in tbl2Date. I would not repeat these fields in tbl3SetInfo.

Apparently table 3 stores different strengths? Any idea what purpose the ID field serves?

Proposed new table tbl2Date
    JobNumber
    Date
    ReqStrength
    Slump
    Air

Proposed new table tbl3SetInfo
    JobNumber
    Date
    Strength

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Let me try to strip down some of my data and post my db. This will be easier than trying to explain it.

thanks,
    jackal

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upon further review, I am going to change my tables to what you have suggested and give this a try. Yes this db is used to collect concrete strength tests. The different cities have different requirements for concrete; 1-strength, 2-slump(the denseness of wet concrete), 3-air(% of air content in concrete). Each set has an ID, so for set 1, you might have IDs A, B, C, D that correlate to how long after the sample was taken that the concrete gets tested. Until reciently I have not had the same job with same date with same set #. So changing to Location should fix my problems. Again thanks for the help.

thanks,
    jackal