New Lounger
    Thanks

Hotlinks (Outlook 2000)

I have read "It's up to Outlook to decide that some text is a URL and convert it to a hotlink". Can anyone advise where & how to set these. We have problems receiving in Outlook Express & Outlook 2000.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hotlinks (Outlook 2000)

The quoted sentence (it would have been nice if you told us where you found it) means that if someone enters text in an e-mail that looks like an URL, Outlook uses an internal algorithm to decide whether is *is* a URL and to change the text to a hyperlink. So there is nothing to set.
    I don't see what this has to do with problems in receiving e-mails in Outlook. And Outlook Express is a completely different program.

Please explain in more detail what problems you are having. Perhaps someone can help you then.

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Thanks Hans. I looked at a Lotus Notes forum thinking the problem (see below) was from Notes. The link is:
    http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/nd6forum.nsf/5...b4?OpenDocument

The problem is, at work I email (from Notes) to hubby who uses Outlook express and the links are shown just as text. I sent the same message to my own Outlook 2000 account and also cannot see the text as a hotlink.

Any advise would be welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think Outlook converts text to hyperlinks in received e-mails, only in e-mails you compose in Outlook. I just sent an e-mail to myself with some URLs as plain text, and they were still plain text in the received message.

I don't know about Outlook Express - I never use it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how well Notes and OE play together, but -if- the OE messages are rec'd in plain text, try the simple trick of surrounding the URL with Less-than and Greater-than signs - it's a plain text convention to identify a URL - like this <www.myurl.net>. Maybe that will work, maybe not.

BTW, if you receive post messages from the Lounge, Less-than and Greater-than symbols may be munged up, so read this post on-line.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

What format is being received in Outlook / Outlook Express in this scenario?

For plain text, Outlook typically makes http:// links or www. addresses into hyperlinks upon receipt. The sending program doesn't matter: Outlook, OE, Mozilla suite, CDO running on an MS web server. It is implemented on the receiving end.

However, that's not the case for other formats. In those formats, what is sent should dictate what is displayed. In some cases, there is a conversion at the gateway. For example, Exchange server might convert HTML to RTF or vice versa, depending on the administrator's choice of settings.

If the recipient has chosen the option to read RTF and HTML messages as plain text, I don't know what happens...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yesterday, I sent the following email, using <> signs as suggested.
    " <http://www.wopr.com> how does that look? Can you click the link to launch? "
    It was plain text when received in Outlook & Outlook express. I have sent it back to my Notes account where I can correctly see it as a hotlink.
    I shall check the Outlook settings, to see if we are reading messages as Plain text.