3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Internet Keyboard

I have a Microsoft Internet Keyboard about 7 years old with a PS2 connector, but which I'm still quite fond of. I've tried a cheap PS2 to USB adapter bought from Hong Kong via eBay to connect it to a new (Dell) computer, only to get the message: "One of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." The same message is given if I try to connect an older (PS2) mouse via the adapter. Does this just mean the adapter is faulty, or is this particular model of keyboard actually not USB-compatible? Is it likely I'll have success if I buy a decent quality adapter (say Belkin)? I've also tried instaling the latest driver for the keyboard, but the problem remains.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Internet Keyboard

I have successfully used a number of different keyboards with PS2 to USB adapters, so this certainly should be possible.

Have you enabled "Legacy USB Support" on your BIOS? - This is often needed to get USB keyboards to work.

There are three things that could be at fault here.
    Can you try using the keyboard directly into a PS2 adapter on another PC?
    Can you try using the keyboard and PS2-to-USB adapter on another PC?
    Do you have a more modern PS2 keyboard that you could borrow to try on your computer?
    Can you check that your USB connector works with a completely different device?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Internet Keyboard

Thanks very much Stuart for your impressively logical approach to pinpointing the problem. I have already used the keyboard directly into a PS2 adapter on another PC and this confirmed the keyboard is working. The only other suggestion I've already tried was to connect an old PS2 mouse, which was also not recognised. I'll go though your other checks and let you know how I get on. Your help is much appreciated.