Lounger
    Thanks

Custom dictionary questions (Word 2002)

I have a user who claims to have filled his custom spelling dictionary. Is this possible, and what is the size/word limit on a custom dictionary?

I know how to create a new custom dictionary, but is it possible to have Word automatically check both of the custom dictionaries while doing spell check? Is it possible to increase the size of a custom dictionary? I have never had this occur before.

Thank you,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Custom dictionary questions (Word 2002)

According to Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word, there is no limit to the number of words or the file size of a custom dictionary. However, a link in that article suggests that the error message that the custom dictionary is full can occur if either the custom dictionary or the main spell check files have become corrupt - see "The custom dictionary is full. The word was not added" error message in Word 2000.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thank you for your prompt reply. This should fix it--I will attempt it when he gets back from break.

Thanks again,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is interesting. I have come across an article from the University of Wisconsin that states that once a custom dictionary reaches a size of 64kb, Word cannot add new words to it. I am starting to see these kinds of error messages for our global dictionary, which is now 110 kb. I am going to have to figure out what to do next for myself. Anyway, in searching for my own answers, I came across this post and decided to mention it. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That limit was for Word 97 - see WD97: Operating Parameter Limitations and Specifications: max 5,000 entries, 64KB file size.
    For Word 2000 and later, there is no theoretical limit - see Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word. But of course you'll have problems if the size becomes very large

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. That clarifies it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, then after thinking about this and using your links, how is that one of my users got a warning message that said that the custom dictionary is too large and to try to divide it? We are working in Word XP. Does the "custom dictionary too large" message really mean that something completely different has gone wrong? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Frankly, I don't know. I've never used a custom dictionary with more than a few hundred words. But the MSKB article explicitly states that there is no size limit, and that the help entry in Word 2000 that does mention a limit (of 366,590 bytes!) is incorrect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. Thanks.