Thanks

Flash drive & temperature

Has anyone noticed that when running a USB flash drive, overall CPU temperature increases by 6-10 degrees C? When I remove the drive, temperature returns to normal. Anyone know why this happens? Polling?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Flash drive & temperature

What happens to the CPU Usage graph on the Performance tab in Task Manager? I get a small spike as the USB Flash Drive is recognised, but that's about it. (You don't get any CPU temperatures on a Dell!).

A higher CPU temperature should be the result of it doing more work...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with John, when you are using the USB flash drive, are you copying a lot of files to/from the hdd or applying extra load on the CPU as John suggested?, though 6 is a little high, perhaps your CPU cooling is not as efficient as it could be and so extra processing increases the temp more than it should, what CPU is it you are using? Some models are known to have heat issues.

Thanks

I am using SpeedFan for temperature monitoring (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). Right now, my CPU temp is 32 degrees C. I'm running an overclocked AMD 2500 (to 2205 Mhz). Cooling isn't an issue. I have 5 fans going (2 on the heat sink/CPU) and the heat sink is certainly big enough (don't you think [lol])?

I just ran a test now. Connected a flash drive and just let it sit there. I didn't reference anything on the flash drive. After about 10 minutes, my CPU temp had increased 6 degrees C to a steady 38C.

I've also noticed this effect on my Dell laptop.

This is probably not critical for most people, but if you have an overclocked machine and it's a hot day, something like this could push you over the edge. Regardless, I am just curious as to what (and why) flash drives do that cause the main board CPU temperature to increase. Is this an example of bad design? Or something to do with the design of flash memory?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You say nothing about what happens in the Task Manager -> Performance tab -> CPU usage graph when you insert the USB Flash Drive. That would be test 1.

Test 2 would be to do the same, but this time looking at the Processes tab, sorted by decreasing CPU usage by clicking on the CPU column heading twice. That should show, on an otherwise idle machine, which process is using the most CPU time (and consequently whaich process jumps its CPU time when you insert the USB Flash Drive).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I monitored the CPU usage graph and could see a lot more spikes when the flash drive was inserted, even though I wasn't doing anything on the system except watching the graph.

I had also taken a screen shot of the process window prior to insertion and before I removed the device. There weren't any new, independent processes created.

So I used another monitor program I have to look at sub-tasks hung off of a process. Didn't see anything there either. And even though the CPU temp again increased by 6 degrees, I could not see any task standing out using any additional CPU.

I have some other tools I can play around with when I get more time, though I suspect the increased CPU is coming from deep inside Windows and I may not be able to find it.

This is probably not the best forum for this type of question anyway. I've got a couple others that are more "geeky" that I will try. If I find anything, I will post it here.