2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Monitor Screen Flashes on Start Up (Win XP-SP2)

I have a now rather elderly 21 inch CRT monitor connected to my relatively new WinXP-SP2 computer, with all patches installed. The processor is 3.2GhZ hyper-threaded with 2 GB memory and two 250GB HD. I have both Eudora and Firefox in the StartUp group. Each time I start the computer from cold (my practice is to turn the computer on each morning when I start the day's work and leave it on until I finish for the day, when I turn it off) once all the start up stuff has finished the monitor screen flashes at about twice a second for a few minutes then after I have gone to a web site or start reading emails the flashing stops and does not occur again until the next day. Incidentally if I reboot during the day the screen does not flash on completion of the restart.

I would appreciate advice on why this is happening and how I can stop it. If it is something due to the age of the CRT then I will just buy a new flat screen!

Noel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitor Screen Flashes on Start Up (Win XP-SP2

Since it seems to be a power-up phenomenon, have you tried powering up the monitor ten or twenty minutes before you turn on the system unit? Or even leaving it on (but in energy-saving mode when idle) all the time?

It would be a pity to get rid of an otherwise OK monitor if there's a way round it.

John

PS The usual problem I've had with old CRT monitors is that you get a continuous colour cast (magenta, usually!) which can be often be fixed for a variable length of time by the old engineer's trick of giving it a hard thump on the top casing...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John,

My apology for the delay in responding - my ISP has been off the air for about five days. I will try your suggestions and let you know how that works. I agree - reluctant to dump an old but otherwise good monitor.

Noel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Following up - I tried turning the monitor on about 15 minutes before the computer - the screen did flash but only for a couple of seconds. So lloks like that it a good work around - I will try to turn the monitor on about 20 minutes before the computer - that should do it.

Thank you again John.

Noel