5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Working with Bubble series (2002)

I have a procedure that attempts to delete all the current series of a bubble chart and then to recreate them with new values. It reads values down a filtered list, supplying the name x, and y values and size in four columns.
    The problem is it either fails to delete the series (Delete method of Series class failed) with the statement myChart.SeriesCollection(x).Delete - even though I can then delete them manually - or it is unable to set the Name property. Any ideas what might be happening? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Working with Bubble series (2002)

Can you post the code you are using, or a sample workbook?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attached sample workbook. The code runs on clicking the Create Bubble Chart button. It should then delete all current series, and create new ones based on the displayed filtered data on the Tier Summary sheet. Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The bubble chart in your workbook does have a data series, but it is a very strange one - it is based on partly empty data, and it cannot be selected manually: it doesn't appear in the Chart Objects dropdown list on the Chart toolbar. I assume that deleting it fails for the same reason. If you supply some valid values in the Chart | Source Data, Series tab, it becomes possible to delete the series either manually or in code.

You try to create new series also based on partially missing data, that's why naming them fails.

You should ensure that columns O, W and AD on Tier Summary (the ones used to provide the XValues, Values and BubbleSizes) are all populated. The code then runs OK.

Note: you should set Application.ScreenUpdating to True at the end of the code, not to False.

Thanks

Perhaps I don't completely understand what you are after.

Why not set the bubble chart to be all the data in those columns? The charts will automatically only use the visible data after the data is filtered without having to use code to reset to just the subset of data.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it possible to set the visible data as chart series for a bubble chart? Each row needs to become a new series to achieve this..

Do empty cells need to be populated with zeros to allow the creation of new series? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel will automatically use only visible data. So you can base the chart on the entire range, and it will be updated automatically when the user filters the data.

Yes, empty cells must be populated with zeros.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I believe it was the blank cells causing problems. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I believe it was the blank cells causing problems

It certainly was!