tahir

Still with Publishing but a different problem! (FP2K)

If FP2K is flagged NOT TO PUBLISH a single page, why the hell it comes back once publishing starts with the whole site, saying pages were changed on certain dates and do I upload or ignore? -
    I thought once we say DO NOT PUBLISH it would not do a thing?
    Is there a way to stop this message?

Thanks

Re: Still with Publishing but a different problem! (FP2K)

I have always assumed the Do Not Publish attribute would be applied to files that would not be published in the first place.
    My view of the concept of FP is to make it as fool-proof as possible. You produce a web locally and publish it. After more edits, publishing looks after the house-keeping for you by comparing what it sees on the web site with what you have locally and reporting any anomalies. For example, you delete a graphic locally that you no longer need, and FP will see the change and ask if you want it removed from the remote site.
    What I suspect is happening here is that you have flagged a file for not publishing, and FP detects you have published it and is simply asking you "Is this correct?". To most people this would be expected behaviour.

What to do? Maybe you should question whether FP is the right product for your needs. Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking FP - I use it myself and it suits my humble requirements. I just get the feeling you have bought a car with automatic transmission and are asking why it doesn't change gear when you want it to instead of when it thinks is right for you.

Is this related to your previous post where you are maintaining a 100MB web? I do not doubt FP is capable of such a task, but it is designed to do a job in a specific manner and believes it is looking after your best interests. So maybe we should try looking at the problem from a different angle.

In your previous post, I suggested using an FTP client to upload only required changes and your response was:
    I wish I could FTP - The problem is that our site is large and we will lose the track if not kept properly publishing it.
    You are now suggesting changing the attribute of a local file without that being reflected on the web site - how do you document that?

Forgive me if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick - this is not meant to criticise, and I may well be totally misunderstanding your problems. My take on your situation is as follows:
    You have a large web site (100MB) which you are maintaining with FP.
    You make a small change, for example, to a single page and when you use the built-in publishing tool, FP insists on checking the entire remote site, comparing what it finds with what you have locally.
    You are attempting to reduce this checking by marking local files 'Not for publication' in the expectation FP will not include it in this comparison stage, and thereby reduce your overall publish time?
    Correct?

In the absence of my more knowledgeable colleagues (who will hopefully chip in later) I would say I don't think this will work. Ideas? I'm not sure if it would work in your application, but have you considered creating sub-webs? This may break up the site into more managable chunks which you can maintain on an individual basis. Otherwise, I fear, FTP'ing your changes may be your only option - the tracking overhead may be higher from one point of view, but may be quicker in the long run.

Hang in there - we'll help you if we can.

tahir

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Yes, its me still thinking that after using FP from its beta version, I would not have any problem with FP2K but all is falling on the wrong side. I can not get rid of this megs and megs that come to my PC from server before it starts publishing the only page that I flagged to publish. Still it would not finish the publishing and would come back with a problem.
    Here is the list of problems that I'm facing with FP2K.
    1) Would not publish, always stops.
    2) Number of times it would not accept proxy settings that we have in this country. By re-typing it would fix the problem though.

Now sub. web, how can I create and what are the problems that I might face. I hope I do not need to change links on 0000s of pages that I got ?

Thanks

A couple of links to be getting on with:
    How do I create a sub web

If you move the location of any files (i.e. to a sub web) I would like to think that FP would recalculate all the links for you. However, this may entail re-publishing the whole site as each change would have to be updated.

Thanks

I think Leif's suggestion of subwebs is right on.
    Just a comment about the two typical reasons subwebs are created.

1. <LI>Security: if I want to manage security separately, then I would create subwebs.
      <LI>Size: when normal management tasks like verifying/recalculating hyperlinks and publishing are too timeconsuming, splitting the contents into subwebs can be helpful
    However, it is the FP Server extensions that manage the division of content into subwebs and if you are having problems with your server extensions, you may have difficulty establishing and maintaining your subwebs.

Not good news I know.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile